Memorial Hall Improvements.

During the summer extensive improvements have been made at Memorial Hall. On the north side of the building excavation has been made for a refrigerating and ice-making plant. The work is now well under way, and will probably be completed in November. The excavation is about 25 by 40 feet, and affords room for an ice making plant capable of producing about three times the amount of ice at present consumed by the dining association. The refrigerating plant also will be extensive enough to meet any future needs.

The basement has been remodeled, much of the old piping and machinery has been replaced by newer material, and better accommodations have been arranged for the help. The old floor of the dining hall was taken up this summer and replaced by fire-proof concrete construction, covered with a new hard wood flooring.

The interior of the hall has been rearranged, the serving-place having been enlarged and the number of tables increased from 56 to 71. The tables will be arranged transversely this year, and though each will seat a smaller number than previously, the total seating capacity of the hall will be fifty greater than last year.

The hall will be lighted by electricity, for which all the equipment has been installed, except the generating plant, which will not be completed for a couple of months. Meanwhile, the electricity will be furnished by the city plant, so that the hall will be lighted by electricity from the beginning of the year.