The October Monthly.

The first number of the thirty-third volume of the Monthly, as is editorially stated, "marks its entrance into the active field of college life" by announcing that "there will be in every number an article on some live topic of college interest." "Rambles through the College Yard," by Mr. Hurlbut, is the first of these articles, and in it is an earnest appeal for the rehabitation of the Yard as a favored living place for students. Appropriately preceding Mr. Hurlbut's article are three inspiring verses "To Harvard College," by Dean Brigg. The only other contributions in this number, except for a sonnet and a short poem, are part of the Bowdoin Prize Essay for 1900-01, which is a comparison of Thackeray's "Vanity Fair" with the play "Becky Sharp," and an unoriginal story called "Sailor Jack's First Voyage."

Editorially, the number is very good. In speaking of the Harvard Union an appeal is made to the student body to make the place the centre of social activities, so that it may truly stand for "the brotherhood of college interests and college men. . . The best thanks for a good gift is to put it to good use. If every Harvard man will use the Union enthusiastically, promptly, unselfishly, and persistently, there will not be a moment's doubt of the success which will be the best thanks from the University to Major Higginson."