Reception to New Students.

The annual reception to new members of the University was held in Sanders Theatre last night. Professor Shaler presided and introduced President Eliot, who said in part.

"It is a common error to suppose that the men of this University live in rooms the walls of which are covered with embossed leather; t at they have at hand every luxury of modern life. As a matter of fact, there are but few such. The great majority are of moderate means; and it is this diversity of condition that makes the experience of meeting men here so valuable.

Nearly all these men come here with well-defined ambitions. Few have no serious object in coming, and few fail to respond to the call of duty. The enthusiasm with which the students helped the University to care for the Cuban teachers is ample proof of this. However trying the work, however much of good judgment and patience it required, they were always glad to meet every responsibility.

A noteworthy fact to be remembered in this connection is the age of these men. Few were more than twenty-three years old. The growing habit of spending long years in preparation for a life work is a grave error. As soon as a man or a woman can do strenuous work in the world, that will be found the best training. A course of study should only be long enough to win power; the sooner you begin to use it the better. Do not get in four years what you can get in three. Our aim in life is not to work for our own improvement; we must work on that we may in this way be of service to others."

The other speakers were Mr. James Myers, Rev Edward Cummings, Professor Hollis, and J. W. Hallowell '01.