Letters in Explanation from Professor Hollis and Mr. Cutts.

CUTTS WAS INELIGIBLE.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

At Mr. Cutts' request I hand you for publication the accompanying statement from him which explains itself. The Athletic Committee can only express their regret that through what appears to have been the unintentional suppression of facts, a member of the football team was declared eligible when he should not have been allowed to play on a Harvard team. The case of Mr. Cutts came before the chairman of the committee in the spring of 1901 and he was declared eligible. He had taught physical culture at the Haverford Grammar School in addition to his regular work as instructor in mathematics, and his name appeared on the catalogue of that school as an instructor in mathematics and physical culture. The question was fully discussed by the Athletic Committee on the evening before the Yale game and he was again declared eligible upon the assurance of the principal of the school and his own signed statement that he had never received any payment whatever for instruction in physical exercise or for coaching a school boy team. At that time it was not known to the committee, or suggested to them that he had received money for giving private lessons in boxing, and his word that he had never received a cent which would in any way impugn his amateur standing was accepted. The part of our rule under which the decision was rendered reads as follows: "No student shall be allowed to represent Harvard University in any public contest who shall have taught or engaged in any athletic exercise or sport as a means of livelihood." Additional evidence has only recently been sent to Harvard in the shape of a receipted bill showing conclusively that Mr. Cutts had been paid in 1899 for giving boxing lessons to a boy in the preparatory school where he taught. He was therefore clearly ineligible by the Harvard rule.

It is to be regretted that this information did not reach Harvard earlier and the Committee feel that the circumstances should be made known to the students. Whether a change in the football team would have affected the result or not makes no difference, the playing of a man not properly eligible must necessarily detract from the satisfaction over our victories. A copy of this communication will be sent to all colleges and universities against whose teams we played as the only reparation in our power. Yours very truly,   IRA N. HOLLIS,   For the Committee.