New Parkway Hearing.

The Cambridge Board of Survey held a public hearing in the Cambridge City Hall last night to consider the petition presented by the University and the University Associates proposing that a suitable parkway be constructed from the College grounds to the Charles River Parkway.

In speaking for the University Associates, Mr. E. R. Champlin said that if the Parkway was to be made it should be done immediately in view of the fact that the narrow streets running from Quincy square to the river are rapidly being choked with expensive buildings which will soon make the improvements impossible. Mr. Champlin gave as reasons for the Parkway: first, it would be of great convenience to the public in serving as a terminus for the driveway from Boston to Cambridge; second, DeWolf street is the best sight for the Parkway, as it is the shortest route from Massachusetts avenue to the river; third, it will not cost the city anything, as the new Parkway will greatly increase the value of property in Cambridge and consequently the taxes will increase.

President Eliot expressed himself as in favor of the plan because it would make a dignified approach to the University and would greatly enhance the value of the property in Cambridge. He also said that Harvard graduates would undoubtedly contribute financially towards the plan.

The Board of Survey will probably hold another hearing later.