BASKETBALL TEAM DEFEATED.

Cornell Wins First Intercollegiate Game by a Score of 34 to 26.

The Cornell basketball team defeated Harvard at the Gymnasium Saturday night in the first intercollegiate game, by the score of 34 to 26. The game was very closely contested until the latter part of the second half when Cornell made three easy goals from the floor and two from fouls. Throughout the game, however, Cornell showed superior team work and was more successful than Harvard at covering and uncovering. Harvard's goals were consequently all made in scrimmages, while Cornell frequently made goals from an open field. Harvard, however, played the more aggressive game, and kept the ball in Cornell's territory most of the time.

Individually Gilles did the best work for Harvard tossing two baskets from the floor and two from fouls. He was also more successful in uncovering than any of the other Harvard players. Hanavan and Fosdick played well when in possession of the ball, but were weak on the defensive. For Cornell Hermes played the best game, scoring in all ten points, besides preventing his opponent from making any goals.

The summary of the game is as follows:

Goals from floor: Harvard--Hanavan 3, Gilles 2, Linehan 1, Fenwick 1. Ritter 1; Cornell--Townsend 3, Tolin 3, Hermes 2, Burns 1, Steel 1. Goals from foul: Harvard--Gilles 2; Cornell--Hermes 4. Referee--G. D. Morse of Worcester. Umpire--Dr. Stroud of Tufts. Time--20 minute halves.

The standing of the colleges in the Intercollegiate Basketball League at the present time is as follows: HARVARD.  CORNELL. Gilles, r.f.  l.g., Steel. Fenwick, Smith, Ritter, l.f.  r.g., Tolin. Linehan, c.  c., Burns. Hanavan, r.g.  l.f., Townsend. Fosdick, l.g.  r.f., Hermes.

Won.  Lost.  Average. Yale,  1  0  1.000 Princeton,  1  0  1.000 Cornell,  1  1  .500 Harvard,  0  1  .000 Columbia,  0  1  .000