Archaeological Fellowship.

President Eliot has received a letter of which the following is an extract:

"The Bureau of University Travel is about to establish a travelling fellowship in Classical Archaeology and invites your co-operation in the selection of a suitable person. The conditions are as follows:

"1. The holder must be a graduate of an American college or university in good standing and must be eligible for admission to the American School of Classical Studies at Rome.

"2. He must have chosen this line of study as a presumptive life work, and must have attained marked proficiency in the usual preliminary studies.

"3. He must travel under our direction in Europe during the summer immediately following his appointment or such portion of the same as we may elect.

"4. The academic year following his appointment must be spent in the above mentioned school in Rome, or such foreign university as may be agreed upon, subject to the usual requirements of the institution in question.

"5. The services of the holder must be placed at our disposal in the capacity of archaeologist for a period of thirty days in the spring and ninety days in the summer next following.

"The Bureau of University Travel guarantees to the holder of its fellowship who complies with the above conditions:

"1. Expenses while travelling under its direction or employed in its service, including ocean passage from the United States and return.

"2. Five hundred dollars for the payment of expenses during the nine months spent in resident study.

"3. Full liberty in the choice and pursuit of studies, subject only to the general condition that they shall be in the line of the subject above specified."

This communication was sent by President H. H. Powers of the Bureau of University Travel.