Sophomores Win Debate.

In a close and interesting debate, the Seniors were defeated last night by the Sophomores, who supported the negative of the question, "Resolved, That a Franco-Russian alliance, offensive and defensive, is for the best interests of France." The Pasteur medal was awarded to P. E. Fitzpatrick of the Sophomore team.

One fault characterized the work of both teams. The individual speakers showed a weakness in legitimate rebuttal, which they attempted to fortify by saying points until the close of the debate. This was especially noticeable in the case of the Seniors, who were also less finished in form than their opponents. Too much time was given to dispute about the interpretation of the question; but aside from that, the Sophomores handled their case more cleverly.

I. Grossman, who opened the debate for the Sophomores, laid special emphasis on the dangers in the shape of foreign wars which an alliance with which an alliance with Russia would involve, since Russia's policy in the pat has been steadily aggressive.

E. H. Letchworth '02, successfully rebutted the argument advanced by the Seniors that the alliance, as defined by the question, should be modified by stipulations in regard to offensive wars.

P. E. Fitzpatrick turned his attention partly to disproving the statement of the affirmative, that colonies are essential to the welfare of France. Though it is true that France needs additional strength to establish the equilibrium of power in Europe, this can be secured better by a purely defensive alliance than by such a one as is proposed by the affirmative, or by additional colonies.