SOME IMPROVEMENT SHOWN.

First Eleven Scores Four Touchdowns. More Team-Play and Life.

The University football team has been practicing now for nearly four weeks; but not until yesterday has it given the least indications of development beyond what might have been expected at the end of the first week. This sudden improvement, however, was not noticeable throughout the eleven but applied only to the backs and ends, whose playing showed much more life, aggressiveness, and willingness to help the runner along than at any time before.

Kernan played in the line-up for the first time since he was injured, and by his good running and strong defensive work greatly helped the team. Graydon again hurt his shoulder in the preliminary practice and will be given a rest during the remainder of the week, in order to use him if possible in the West Point game Saturday. There were several men missing from the line--Knowlton, A. Marshall, King and Hovey, but their absence did not seem to make the playing of the line either better or worse. It held a little better than usual, but even then allowed the second eleven to break through and nearly block Marshall's tries for field goals.

All four touchdowns were made in rapid succession and by straight football. The first was made by Kernan after two end plays and four line plunges had brought the ball to the 7 yard line. Knowles, Meier and Foster then went in as backs. A poor punt of the second eleven gave the first a chance to score the second touchdown in three plays from the 35 yard line. Marshall made the third score on a 70 yard run from a blocked kick, and the last touchdown was made on rushes by Kernan, Stillman and Foster from the second team's 45 yard line. The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Jones, Matthews, l.e.  r.e., McDonald, Clothier Whitwell, Wright, l.t.  r.t., O'Connell, Julien Coburn, l.g.  r.g., Wilder Sugden, c.  c., Lyon Barnard, Force, r.g.  l.g., Force, H. Bowditch Oveson, Bleakie, r.t.  l.t., Lehmann, Carr Bowditch, Clark, Motley, r.e.  l.e., Littig, Goodhue Daly, Marshall, q.b.,  q.b., Noyes Kernan, Knowles, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Dodge, McGlensey Leatherbee, Foster, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Ives Stillman, Meier, f.b.  f.b., Fox, Angle