President Eliot on Schools.

President Eliot delivered the last of his three addresses on public schools before the Teachers' Association at Providence, R. I., last night. These three lectures, although delivered at different places, form a connected whole. The first was given at New Haven when President Eliot urged larger expenditure on schools, and argued that the failure of schools to develop reason among pupils is responsible for many of the evils of the day, such as the popularity of ephemeral, literature, the flourishing condition of the lower class of theatres and the labor disputes. The second was given at Concord, N. H., before the New Hampshire State Teachers' Association. In this address President Eliot pointed out the gains of the American schools and colleges, such as the betterment of the kindergartens and the revised methods of education; and from the fact that these advances had been made by larger appropriations, he was convinced that still greater expenditure would be accompanied by still better results.

In his third speech, last night, President Eliot showed some of the things that require greater expenditure. All great improvements connected with the building and equipment of schools, the paid administrative experts in city schools, and the pension for teachers he included in the list. Finally, as education has tended to the advancement of society, every encouragement should be lent to the still further improvement of the public schools.