Leonard and Warland Win Doubles Tennis Championship.

E. W. Leonard '03 and W. S. Warland '03 successfully defended their title to the doubles championship of the University yesterday by defeating R. Bishop 2L. and G. A. Lyon 2L., the winners of the doubles in the fall tennis tournament, by a score of 6-3, 6-2, 4-6, 7-5.

The first two sets of the match were rather one-sided as Leonard and Warland showed themselves superior to their opponents in every part of the game, both men winning many points by their hard service and accurate placing. Lyon was erratic in the first two sets and did not seem to be able to return the swift balls of his opponents. His playing, however, improved in the third set which he and Bishop won by a score of 6-4. The fifth game of this set was very exciting and was marked by well-placed balls on both sides and by hard volleying. The game was finally won by Leonard and Warland through their greater steadiness. Both Bishop and Lyon deserve credit for the plucky way in which they won the set. With a score in games of 2-4 and with two sets against them they won the next four games and the set. In the fourth set Bishop and Lyon gained considerably on their opponents on account of their greater power of endurance. At the beginning of the tenth game, with the score 5-4 in their favor, it looked as though they would win the set, but by a great effort Leonard and Warland won the tenth game, and then had no difficulty in winning the final game and the match.