Yale Football Development.

Unsatisfactory and erratic play has characterized the practice of the Yale team during the past week. There has been little real improvement in either the individual or team work of the eleven. That the coaches have felt that the development has not been what it should, is shown by the numerous shifts made in the line-up during the latter part of the week. The ends fail to show expected progress under rigorous coaching and the tackles give evidence of discouraging weakness in their defensive play. In the centre of the line the situation, as has been the case all year, is more encouraging. The three centre men work together smoothly and are gaining in speed.

Noticeable changes last week were the substitution of Kinney for Hogan at right tackle and the trial at left end of Wilhelmi, halfback on the 1901 eleven. Whether either of these changes will be permanent is of course largely a matter of conjecture. Kinney is large and strong and is valuable in tackle-back formations; but as a defensive tackle he is at present inferior to Hogan. The latter has also the advantage of experience in the position. Wilhelmi, although considerably heavier than the average end, is nevertheless fast. He is, however, very inexperienced in the duties of the position, and constant coaching will have to supplement his natural ability to make him even a fair and for the championship games. Neal, the leading candidate for this position until his injury in the Wesleyan game, is again in condition to play. Back of the line S. Ward has shown the best work of the many candidates for right halfback, and if be continues to improve, seems likely to hold the position. At fullback, Farmer and Bowman have been alternated in the practice; the latter is still in poor physical condition.

Secret practice commenced on Monday, October 20, and will be held at intervals during the rest of the season. George S. Stillman, 1901, head coach last fall, has assisted J. R. Swan during the week, several times taking a tackle position on the second team opposite Hogan, Kinney or Shevlin.