HARVARD, 23; BATES, 0.

Interference and Team Work Show Improvement.--Erratic Defence.

By a score of 23 to 0, the eleven won an easy, but interesting game from Bates on Saturday, the superior weight of the Harvard line making the fast play of Bates ineffective. But although the high score was due in large measure to the difference in weight, it was also partly accounted for by the increased strength evidenced in Harvard's offensive play. Long end runs marked the game, and varied the usual line plunging tactics. On the defense, however, the eleven was not nearly so strong. Quick tandem plays and simple tricks were used by Bates to advantage, as the Harvard line was slow to comprehend and check them.

Some improvement was shown by Harvard in the formation of interference. Although slow in starting, the men grouped themselves well, and as a rule the backs made good use of the assistance given them. On mass plays the line made good openings, but the backs were a trifle slow in getting through and unsuccessful in keeping their feet. The rudimentary points of the game were fairly well mastered by all the men, as the tackling, catching and blocking showed few faults. On the other hand, the team did not show enough dash and fighting spirit. Nor did the men follow the ball accurately, as was plainly evidenced in the failures to recover it after fumbles.

Individually Bowditch, King and Barnard did the best work for Harvard. Bowditch missed a tackle, but his stopping of end plays with little assistance from the rush line halfback's was remarkable. Together with Barnard he was very successful in helping along the runners on the offense. King, in spite of his weight, followed the ball better than the other men, and did some good work in the line. A Marshall was put in at guard for the first time. He did not use his weight to advantage and was slow in breaking through. Of the tackles used, Knowlton and Wright were the most satisfactory. They both have a good deal to learn, but their speed and strength is encouraging. Jones played his position well, but showed his old fault of not being able to follow the ball. Behind the line Graydon, Tenney and Piper showed good judgment in running, but lacked the necessary speed. In the open field they hesitated and lost good chances to score on long end runs. Graydon was the only back who showed any defensive ability.

After Marshall's kick-off Bates made a series of good gains and finally punted to the middle of the field. Through three end runs by Tenney and Piper Harvard took the ball to Bates's five-yard line. Graydon then scored the first touchdown on a line plunge. Barnard kicked the goal. After a few plays succeeding the next kick-off, C. Marshall caught a punt on Harvard's thirty-yard line. Two end runs gained eight yards, but Tenney fumbled. A fumble by Bates soon gave Harvard the ball on Bates's forty-five yard line. Line plunges by Graydon, Tenney and Piper then carried the ball toward the goal and Piper finally scored the second touchdown. Barnard kicked another goal. After the next kick-off C. Marshall tried a goal from the field, but failed. Time was then called.

With an almost entirely new team in the second half, Harvard scored two more touchdowns. A punting game was played to advantage, as Stillman's punts were long and high and Bates was weak in catching them. On a fumbled punt Harvard go the ball in mid-field. Matthews took the ball from King in the scrimmage, and carried it behind the goal posts, but was called back because the referee's whistle had blown before he got the ball. Lindsay, Meier and Stillman then made repeated gains through the line, and Lindsay scored the touchdown on a long plunge through the centre. Daly kicked a difficult goal. The second touchdown of the half was made by Meier after an exchange of punts and end runs by Stillman and Lindsay had gained sixty-yards. Daly missed the goal. Time was called soon afterwards.

The line-up:

HARVARD.  BATES.Jones, Littig, l.e.  r.e., Libbey.Wright, Bleakie, l.t.  r.t., Andrews.Marshall, Hovey, l.g.  r.g., Howes.King, Lyon, c.  c., Cutten.Barnard, Coburn, r.g.  l.g., Hunt.Knowlton, Mills, r.t.  l.t., J. Read.Bowditch, Matthews, r.e.  l.e., Cole, Connors, Thurston.Marshall, Daly, q.b.  q.b., Allen, Burkholder.Piper, Stillman, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Kendall.Tenney, Lindsay, r.h.b.  l.h.b., TowneGraydon, Meier, Ives, f.b.  f.b., Briggs