HARVARD, 6; AMHERST, 0.

Fumbling, Weak Defense and Slow Offense Mark Harvard's Play.

The football game with Amherst yesterday on Soldiers Field resulted in a victory for Harvard by the small score of 6 to 0. From being regarded as practice, the game quickly took on the aspect of a real contest, and when the first half ended with the score 0 to 0, the situation appeared serious. A poorer exhibition of football would not be pleasant to imagine; and worst of all, it proved again that the University eleven has failed to better its playing under three weeks of efficient coaching. Every fault that the team has shown this fall cropped out in yesterday's game, and the wonder of it all is that the team ever pulled together enough to rush the ball through much lighter opponents the twenty-five yards necessary for its touchdown. Moreover, if a light team can go through Harvard the way Amherst did, it would be interesting to know what opponents of equal or greater weight will accomplish.

As hitherto, the line was Harvard's greatest weakness, and it was not until the men began to play low that the Amherst attack could be stopped. Another reason for Harvard's wretched defense was that the team was too slow and spiritless and waited until the ball reached the line instead of trying to break through and spoil the play before it had started. In advancing the ball the backs followed their interference fairly well, but they did not turn in soon enough, and in running back or making a big arc were frequently tackled with no gain. The team lacked snap and fight, and fumbled frequently. Moreover, the men seemed to think that when the ball had been carried to the opponents' three yard line, their work was done.

Marshall was largely to blame for the smallness of the score. The slow way in which he gave his signals kept the team from warming to its work, and at a critical moment consumed time that could have been used in making a touchdown. Jones was weak at end, and allowed several long runs to pass him. It would be difficult to characterized Hovey's playing at guard. At any rate, he was put out of nearly every play by a much lighter man and was really a handicap to his own team. Barnard, on the contrary, did some very effective work and frequently broke through and tackled for a loss. Meier gained five yards nearly every time he was called upon to take the ball was very reliable on the defense.

In the first half, Amherst received Marshall's kick-off on the thirty-five yard line and then started in a series of plays that took Harvard completely by surprise. Mass plays on the tackles and end runs carried the ball steadily down the field, and three times on the third down the Amherst backs more than gained their distance. After making 10 yards on two plays, Biram went around Jones's end for twenty yards. Successive line plunges and a penalty for offside play brought the ball to Harvard's thirty-three yard line and then Washburn added 10 yards more around Bowditch. He dropped the ball, however, and Harvard secured it on the twenty-three yard line. From there short advances by Tenney and Meier and a twenty yard run by Stillman carried the ball to Amherst's fifteen yard line. But on the next plunge there was a fumble, and as the ball rolled towards the goal line an Amherst man dropped on it. Quill punted out. Marshall then tried for a goal from the twenty-five yard line but the wind was too strong and his attempt failed. The half ended a few minutes later with Harvard on her own forty yard line vainly trying to advance the ball into the opponents' territory.

Bleakie received the kick-off in the second half. Another twenty-yard run by Stillman brought the ball to the centre of the field and Stillman punted to Amherst's seven yard line. Harvard secured the ball on downs, however, at the twenty-five yard line, and after six plays Lindsay went through outside of left tackle for a touchdown. Barnard kicked the goal. Harvard, 6; Amherst, 0.

Soon after the next kick-off, Amherst secured the ball through a fumble on Harvard's thirty-five yard line, but was soon forced to punt. The kick was a poor one and Bowditch caught it on the bounce at the twenty-five yard line and ran to the middle of the field. Steady plunges then brought the ball within two yards of Amherst's goal. Marshall's slowness in giving the signals allowed time to be called before the ball could be carried over. The line-up: HARVARD.  AMHERST. Jones, l.e.  r.e., Priddy, Raferty Wright, Bleakie, Dodge, l.t.  r.t., Deihl Hovey, l.g.  r.g., Varnum King, Lyon, c.  c., Howard Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Palmer Knowlton, Mills, r.t.  l.t., Pierce Bowditch, Motley, r.e.  l.e., Griswold Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Lewis Stillman, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Washburn Tenney, Lindsay. r.h.b.  l.h.b. Biram Meier, Piper, f.b.  f.b., Quill

Score-Harvard, 6; Amherst, 0. Touchdown-Lindsay. Goal from touchdown-Barnard. Umpire-T. J. Hammond 3L. Referee-R. Brown '98. Time-keeper-Wood, of B. A. A. Linesmen-Tay, of Amherst, and Cummins, of Harvard. Time-15 minute halves.