Cecil Rhodes Scholarships.

The District Board of Education of Washington, to whom the trustees of the Cecil Rhodes will referred the question of the manner of nomination of candidates for scholarships from the United States, on Wednesday night adopted this recommendation, which has been referred to Secretary of State Hay:

"That the Trustees of the will of the Rt. Hon. Cecil John Rhodes be invited to appoint an American Commission, to consist of the Commissioner of Education of the United States, and other eminent Educators representing public institutions of secondary and of college grade, who shall, under the trustees, be empowered to make and carry into effect all needful regulations respecting the selection of qualified students from the several States and Territories of the United States, in accordance with the terms of the said, will."

By the terms of his will Cecil Rhodes has provided for two American Scholarships to be awarded to each of the present States and Territories of the United States, besides scholarships for Germany and the English Colonies. The holders are each to receive $1,500 per annum and are to study for three years at Oxford University. Each student may select his own college at Oxford, as there is no restriction made in the will. No student is to be qualified or disqualified for election to scholarship on account of race or religious opinion; in selection character and manliness are to count as much as scholarship.