Facts on the Yale Game

The following facts have been compiled in reference to the Harvard-Yale game.

In the first half, Harvard rushed 41 times for a net gain of 72 yards, 5 rushes being made without gain and 2 for a loss. Yale rushed 28 times with a total gain of 164 yards. Twice Yale failed to gain and three times was thrown for a loss. A series of 19 straight rushes by Harvard netted 43 yards. Yale's longest continuous series consisted of 11 rushes for a distance of 38 yards to a touchdown. The only long run made during the half was that of 73 yards through the Harvard line by Metcalf for a touchdown.

The average gain on rushes made by Harvard was 1 3-4 yards; the corresponding gain made by Yale was 5 6-7 yards.

Harvard punted 5 times in the first half for a total distance of 191 yards. Yale punted 6 times for a total of 204 yards. Harvard's longest kick in the first half was that of 46 yards by Kernan: Yale's longest was a kick by Bowman of 48 yards. On 6 chances Harvard ran back kicks for a distance of 22 yards, while Yale ran back 5 kicks for 33 yards. The average gained thus by Harvard was 2 22 yards, and by Yale 6 3-5 yards.

Harvard fumbled twice during the first half, losing the ball both times. Yale did not fumble at all in this half, but once lost the ball for holding. Harvard also lost the ball once on this account, and was penalized once for 5 yards.

In the second half, Harvard made 16 rushes for a total gain of 21 yards. Twice Harvard failed to gain and 3 times was thrown for a loss. Yale rushed 51 times for a total gain of 204 yards. Three rushes resulted in no gain and once the runner was thrown for a loss. One run of 25 yards was made by Kinney for Yale in this half. Aided by 5 yards penalty for interference, Yale made a series of 11 rushes for an aggregate distance of 80 yards to a touchdown. Harvard's average gain on rushes was 1 1-2 yards; Yale's corresponding gain was 4 yards. Harvard resorted to kicking almost entirely in this half and therefore made no long gains on continuous rushing. Harvard kicked 8 times for 298 yards; Yale, 4 times for 144 yards. The average kick by Harvard was therefore 37 1-4 yards: the average kick by Yale was 36 yards. On 4 chances, Harvard gained 19 yards in running back punts, an average gain of 4 3-4 yards. Yale ran back Harvard's 8 punts a distance of 102 yards, making an average gain of 12 3-4 yards. The longest distance gained in this half in returning a kick was that of 29 yards by Metcalf in returning Harvard's kick-off after Yale's last touchdown. Harvard's longest kick in this half was that by Marshall for a distance of 50 yards. Vander Poel made one punt of 57 yards. Marshall attempted one field goal from the 25 yard line, but failed.

Harvard did not fumble at all in this half. Yale fumbled once but recovered the ball with no loss. Harvard was penalted once for 5 yards: Yale, once for 10 yards.

In all Harvard rushed 57 times and gained 96 yards while Yale rushed 7 times for a total gain of 368 yards. Harvard kicked 13 times for an aggregate distance of 189 yards: Yale, 10 times for 318 yards. Harvard ran back 10 kicks for a total distance of 41 yards. Yale ran back Harvard's 13 kicks a distance of 135 yards. Harvard averaged a gain of 1 3-5 yards on rushes and 37 2-3 yards on kicks. Yale made an average gain on rushes of 4 3-5 yards, and on kicks, of 34 4-5 yards. Harvard's average gain in running back punts was 4.1 yards; Yale's corresponding gain was 10.3 yards.

Harvard lost the ball twice on fumbles, once for holding, and once on downs. Yale lost the ball once for holding and once on downs. Both Harvard and Yale were penalized for a total loss of 10 yards.