Faults in Commencement Plan

Communication

We invite all members of the University to contribute to this column, but we are not responsible for the sentiments expressed. Every communication must be accompanied by the name of the writer.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

The plans suggested by the Alumni Committee in Saturday's CRIMSON in regard to Commencement changes are open to several objections which at first sight perhaps are not apparent.

According to these plans Class Day is to be on Monday, and the baseball game and the Senior Spread on the following day. This arrangement is in its nature an anti-climax. The interest in the ball game and the Senior Spread will certainly be lessened by having them follow the greater event, and no enthusiasm will be added to Class Day itself.

The plan suggests having Commencement a week earlier than usual. I understand from members of the Faculty that this will mean the opening of College one week earlier in the fall. Furthermore, this change will necessitate keeping the baseball team in training ten days after College closes, in case the full series of games is played, while under the present arrangement it is in training but three days later.

Again, if Commencement were not made a week earlier, the date as proposed for the ball game would correspond to Yale's Class Day, on which day it is customary to play in New Haven.

The idea of compressing Class Day and Commencement into one week is certainly good, but since, as has before been suggested in the CRIMSON, it can be done in a much simpler way, not open to these objections, it would seem useless for the Senior Class today to adopt a plan which is such a radical departure. A. H. WEED '03.