Second Parkway Hearing.

The Cambridge Board of Survey held a second public hearing in the Cambridge City Hall last night to consider the petition presented by the University and the University Associates proposing that a parkway be constructed from the Yard to the Charles River Parkway.

Gen. E. A. Champlin, the counsel for the University Associates, said that he had nothing to add to what he had said at the first hearing, when he advocated the parkway as a great convenience to the public and as an improvement which would greatly enhance the value of property in Cambridge.

Mr. E. M. Parker of the University Associates said that the original plan was for a parkway 80 feet wide, but if a plan drawn by the city engineer at the request of the Board of Survey, providing for a parkway 70 feet wide would be more agreeable to the persons owning property on the proposed route, it would be acceptable to the University Associates.

The chief opposition to the petition came from representatives of the Saint Paul's Catholic Association, which owns a large amount of property on the route. Several representatives of the Association spoke against the petition, saying that if the parkway was built a strip of land 35 feet wide would have to be taken from the Association and that the loss of this land would destroy its chapel and interfere with the convent school and the future plans of the Association. They also claimed that there was no call for the parkway on the part of the public and that it would be unjust to take the necessary land.

Mr. J. F. O'Brien of Cambridge, proposed a plan for a parkway 60 feet wide to be constructed by widening both sides of DeWolf street. This plan, he said would take but 10 feet from the Church property.

The Board will consider the matter further at future hearings.