ELECTION OF OVERSEERS.

Extension of Franchise Seems Assured--Bill Has Passed the House.

The bill for the extension of the franchise in the election of Overseers, which has been considered during the present session of the Massachusetts legislature, passed the House of Representatives yesterday at its third and final reading. This practically means that the bill has become a law. The only remaining step necessary is that it shall go back to the Senate for concurrence in the amendment which was engrossed by the House at the second reading, providing that if passed the bill shall not become operative for three years. The Senate is almost sure to concur in this amendment which does not make any important change in the original bill as already passed by the Senate. The bill will be put on the calendar today and the action necessary for its becoming a law will be taken before the end of this week.

An earlier act, passed in 1865, specified that only holders of degrees from the College should vote for overseers. After this act was passed, a movement to have the franchise extended to graduates of the Lawrence Scientific School and of the Law School was started, as both had greatly increased in importance. The suggestion for the change came from President Eliot and it was mainly through his persistent efforts that the movement has spread.