Lives of the Debaters.

THE HARVARD SPEAKERS.

Isador Grossman '02, 1L., prepared for college at the Cleveland Central High School, where he was president of the Psi Omega Debating Society and commencement speaker in 1898. While at Harvard, he has always taken high rank in his studies, receiving a scholarship every year and being awarded a Detur in his Junior year. He is a member of the Phi Beta Kappa. He has taken an active interest in debating: in his Freshman year he was on the team which debated against the Sophomores; the next year he was on the Sophomores; the next year he was on the Sophomore team which won the interclass championship, and last year was on the second team for the Princeton debate. In his Junior year he also won a Boylston prize for elocution. In the three trials for the Princeton debate this year, he was awarded the Coolidge prize for the best individual work. He is a member of the Daniel Webster Law Club.

Thomas Harry Reed '01, 1L., of Allston, Mass., prepared for Harvard at the Boston Latin School, where he received several prizes for declamation and graduated with high rank. While in College, he stood well in his classes and at graduation he was one of seven men to receive their degrees, "summa cum laude." Last year he was a member of the Senior class team which defeated the Juniors and was on the second team for the Princeton debate. He is a member of the Thayer Law Club.

John Kirkland Clark 3L., of Springfield, Mass., prepared for college at the Brooklyn Polytechnic School and graduated from Yale in 1899. While at college, he stood well in his class and won many prizes for scholarship. He has always been active in debating, both at school and at college. In his senior year he won the Thacher prize for debating. He was a member of the freshman team which debated against the Harvard Freshmen in 1896, a member of the Yale university teams which met Harvard in 1897 and 1899 and also of the Yale team which debated against Princeton in 1898. He is a member of the Phi Beta Kappa and Alpha Delta Phi. He is secretary of his class in the Law School and a member of the Thayer Law Club.

Earnest E. Smith '02, alternate, was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1880. He prepared for college at the Roxbury Latin School where he played on the school football team. At College he has rowed on his class crew and played on his class football team. He was elected president of the class debating clubs in his Junior and Senior years, and has represented his class in outside debates against Holy Cross and Bates Colleges. He is a member of the Class Day Photograph Committee.

THE PRINCETON SPEAKERS.

Alexander Johnston Barron '02, of Pittsburg, Pa., is 21 years old. He prepared for college at the Lawrenceville School. He is a member of the Cliosophic Society and in Hall won the freshman prize debate, the freshman declamation contest and also received second prize in the sophomore-freshman extemporaneous speaking contest. He was the successful speaker in the interclass oratorical contest in his sophomore year and this year was alternate on the team which defeated Yale. During the past year he was editor-in-chief of The Daily Princetonian.

Robert A. Blair, P.G., of Belfast, Ireland, is 23 years old. Before entering Princeton he studied at the Royal University of Ireland and at Geneva College. At the latter institution he received second prize in the senior-junior oratorical contest. He is a member of the American Whig Society.

Robert W. Anthony '02, of Watertown, N. Y., is 21 years old. He prepared for college at the Watertown High School. He is a member of the Cliosophic Society and in Hall won the Junior Prize Debate. He was a member of the university team which defeated Yale this year.