THE ELECTIVE SYSTEM.

Statistics Show that Easy Courses are not Especially Popular.

Interesting testimony concerning the elective system and its influences is contained in an article, contributed by Professor Hanus to the March number of the Harvard Graduates' Magazine, in which the author has briefly summarized the results of the recent investigation by the Seminary in Education. The conclusions reached are based upon the answers of graduates of recent years to a series of questions sent out by the Seminary in the fall of 1900. The number of question blanks sent out was 4728. Replies were received from 987 persons, or 21 per cent. Of these, 712, or over 72 per cent., express the opinion that in their cases the elective system has been beneficial. But 67 consider its effects harmful. In a corresponding way 555 consider that strenuousness of application is promoted by the elective system; 150 see no effect on application, and only 56 believe that it is reduced.

One of the most interesting points discussed in connection with the elective system is the question of "snap" courses To evade hard work 173 men elected easy courses; 566 did not; 266 chose easy courses for other reasons. Investigation of the College records shows that the number of easy courses taken by each man is not great; of 448 members of the class of 1901, only 31 took more than four courses reputed to be "snaps."

In general the replies, though in many ways unsatisfactory, tend to confirm the wisdom of electives in Harvard College. The number of men who favor certain prescribed studies is large, but the courses prescribed are in most cases in English; History, Government and Economics, or Science and some modern language. Classics and mathematics are mentioned by few, showing that the lack of an old fashioned training in these subjects is not felt seriously by men of some experience, commercial or professional. One suggestion is so generally made as to command special attention: the student should be more carefully guided in his choice, so that his work may form a rational whole, and not be scattered aimlessly in all directions. Throughout, these and other suggestions, as well as the direct answers tabulated, have contributed to the investigation the value which it possesses.