THE SOUTHERN TRIP.

All Four Games Won.--Team Shows Several Weak Points.

The baseball team returned to Cambridge yesterday from its southern trip, during which four games were won. A week ago Saturday the University of Virginia was defeated by a score of 11 to 8; on Tuesday Annapolis was beaten 13 to 7; on Thursday a team of substitutes won from Annapolis by a score of 17 to 5, and on Saturday West Point was defeated 14 to 4.

The success of the trip, however, was by no means as great as the scores indicate. The playing was at all times very loose, and would not have been effective against strong teams. There were a great many errors and instances of poor judgment, which were all productive of runs for the opponents; and the batting was so scattered and unreliable that no team play in this respect was possible. The batting work was not so steady or effective as last year, and several of the positions were fielded weakly. Two places in the outfield still remain unsettled with no candidate of even medium ability for either, and the make-up of the infield is very unsatisfactory. The only very encouraging feature of the trip was the improvement in the batting of some of the men who have been considered deficient in this respect.

Individually the most encouraging work of the trip was done by Kernan. His batting was excellent, in fact the best of the whole team, although hither-to he has been one of the weakest hitters on the squad. His fielding improved during the trip, but he showed ignorance of the finer points of his position. Neither Stillman nor Clarkson were up to their usual standard either in the box or at bat, and their wildness and tendency to let down at times were very costly. Wendell did not come up to Frantz's standard at first base, although his hitting was good; but with hard work will probably be able to fill the position satisfactorily. At second base Coolidge was in good form both in the field and at the bat, and seemed to be the only man in the infield sure of his place. Skilton, who seemed to be the best man available for third base, had a slump in batting and did not cover enough ground in the field. Matthews made three errors on Saturday, but will probably overcome his unsteadiness and cover short stop satisfactorily. Only one position in the outfield was filled at all well, either Clarkson or Stillman in centre field. Of the other outfielders Wood improved some in batting and did his usual cautious, but not brilliant fielding, and seemed to be the least unsatisfactory. Rockwell fell off completely in his batting and Marshall neither fielded nor batted in good enough form to play regularly. Carr fielded well enough, but did not come up to expectations at the bat.

As a whole the team showed decided weakness in two outfield and two infield positions; which, however, may be strengthened considerably by coaching and experience.

HARVARD, 11; VIRGINIA, 8.

A week ago Saturday the nine defeated the University of Virginia by a score of 11 to 8 at Washington. Harvard began well and got a lead of six runs in the first five innings, which made the game practically safe. The playing was very loose on both sides, and Harvard's runs were due principally to scratch hits and Virginia's errors. In the fifth and sixth innings Stillman and Clarkson were very erratic and Virginia almost tied the score.

Kernan batted excellently, getting three hits out of four times at bat, but fielded badly, having three costly passed balls. Daly was tried at second with only fair success. Wendell and Coolidge both made costly errors, and as a whole the infield work was disorganized. Rockwell was very weak at the bat, striking out three times, and Carr was almost as unsatisfactory. The batting of Clarkson, Stillman and Coolidge was the only good feature of Harvard's play.

The score: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Carr, l.f.  5  1  0  1  1  0 Coolidge, s.s.  4  3  2  1  3  1 Wendell, 1b.  4  1  1  10  1  1 Stillman, p., c.f.  5  1  2  1  2  0 Rockwell, r.f.  5  1  1  0  0  0 Clarkson, c.f., p.  5  1  3  1  1  0 Skilton, 3b.  4  1  0  2  2  0 Daly, 2b.  4  1  1  2  2  1 Kernan, c.  4  1  3  9  4  0   --  --  --  --  --  -- Totals,  40  11  13  27  16  3 VIRGINIA.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Pollard, 2b.  4  2  2  1  0  0 Nalle, c.f.  1  1  1  0  0  0 Walker, r.f.  3  1  1  1  0  1 Connett, s.s.  4  0  0  0  0  2 Yarborough, 1b.  3  2  0  8  0  1 Cocke, l.f.  1  1  0  1  1  1 Moran, l.f.  3  0  1  1  0  0 Carter, p.  4  1  1  1  4  1 Hearndon, c.  2  0  0  7  1  1 Mason, 3b.  4  0  1  4  3  0   --  --  --  --  --  -- Totals,  29  8  7  24  9  7

Score by innings  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Harvard,  1  1  2  4  1  0  0  2  x--11 Virginia,  1  0  0  0  2  4  1  0  0--8

Earned runs--Harvard 1; Virginia 1. Home run--Carter. Two-base hits--Clarkson, Walker. Sacrifice hit--Nalle. Stolen bases--Coolidge 3, Rockwell 2, Kernan 2, Wendell, Skilton. Double play--Skilton to Wendell to Coolidge. Bases on balls--By Clarkson: Nalle 2, Walker 2, Connet, Yarborough; by Stillman: Pollard, Yarborough, Hearndon; by Carter: Coolidge, Skilton. Struck out--By Clarkson; Moran 2, Mason 2, Pollard, Yarborough; by Stillman: Connet, Cocke, Mason; by Carter: Rockwell 3, Carr, Clarkson, Skilton, Daly. Hit by pitched balls--By Clarkson: Hearndon; by Carter: Wendell. Passed balls--Kernan 3. Time--2h. 30m. Umpire--Mr. Orth.

HARVARD, 13; ANNAPOLIS, 7.

The team defeated the Naval Academy at Annapolis on Tuesday by a score of 13 to 7. The game was wretchedly played, due partly to the fact that it was not begun until 5 o'clock and ended in darkness in the sixth inning. Annapolis began the game auspiciously by getting six runs in the first two innings, but Clarkson then took Stillman's place and held Annapolis down to one run during the rest of the game. Harvard won in the last inning by making eight runs, as the whole Annapolis team went to pieces.

Daly improved somewhat at second base, and with Kernan, did the best batting for Harvard. Stillman was entirely ineffective, and Clarkson was very wild, giving four bases on balls in one inning. Wendell played a good game at first base, but the rest of the infield showed no improvement in team work. Wood played in right field and made a fairly good showing.

The score:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Carr, l.f.  4  3  1  0  0  1Coolidge, s.s.  4  1  1  1  0  0Wendell, lb.  3  1  1  5  0  0Stillman, p., c.f.  4  1  1  0  0  0Clarkson, c.f., p.  4  1  1  1  0  1Skilton, 3b.  2  2  0  0  1  1Daly, 2b.  3  1  2  1  1  0Wood, r.f.  2  1  1  1  0  0Kernan, c.  4  2  2  9  3  1  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals,  30  13  10  18  5  4ANNAPOLIS.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Childs, s.s.  4  1  1  2  2  1Staton, l.f.  2  2  1  1  0  1Weaver, c.  3  1  3  4  2  0C. Smith, 2b.  3  1  1  3  2  2Read, r.f.  2  0  0  0  0  1Anderson, c.f.  1  1  0  0  0  0Ryden, 3b.  8  0  1  1  0  3Pegram, 1b.  3  0  0  7  0  0Raudenbrush, p.  3  1  1  0  4  0  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals,  24  8  8  18  10  

HARVARD, 13; ANNAPOLIS, 7.

The score:

HARVARD, 13; ANNAPOLIS, 7.

The score: