The Monthly.

In the editorial article of the current number of the Monthly is treated the subject of the proposed enclosure of the College Yard. The design submitted by the architects, Messrs. McKim, Mead & White, admits of no suitable places for the insertion of memorial tablets, which the Memorial Society desires should be a feature of the fence. The president of the society has, therefore, submitted two other designs, which, with that of the architects, are published in a supplement to the Monthly. The latter designs are drawn up with places at various intervals for memorial tablets, has reliefs, inscriptions, etc., and will be submitted to the Corporation for selection.

"Ibsen's Masterbuilder," by Mr. W. H. Schofield, is an able description of Ibsen's play of that name, recently produced at the Tremont Theatre. The story and importance of the play and the symbolisation of the characters are taken up in the article.

An excellent story of the running down of an outlaw in the West, is told under the title of "A Lone Star Ranger," by W. Jones '00. The western tone of the article is enhanced by the rough colloquial style in which it is written. In "Charles Lamb as a Critic," W. Morrow '00, attempts to show Lamb's comparative powers of criticism in different works and subjects. "Before the Wind," a sketch by R. C. Bolling '00, is a vividly drawn picture of a storm at sea.

Of the poetical contributions, "Mount Auburn, May 30, 1900," by R. M. Green '02, is a eulogy in blank verse to the soldier dead in the cemetry; "Thro' the Casement," by Edward Jocelyn, is a light ballad with a ring to it that makes one desire to read it again.