NEW MUSIC BUILDING.

Plans Accepted for Proposed Building for that Department.

Plans for a new building for the department of music in the University have recently been drawn up under the supervision of Professor Paine and have been accepted by the department. A committee consisting of J. H. Choate, Jr., '97, W. K. Brice '95 and D. H. Morris '96, chairman, has been appointed to secure the necessary funds for the building, which will cost about $75,000.

The plans call for old fashioned red brick and white limestone construction, in keeping with the sentiment of the old buildings in the Yard. On the ground floor will be a tiled lobby from which will open the various class rooms and the professors' study. The next floor will have the library, two practice rooms and the main hall of the music department, which will be used both for concert and recitation purposes, and will seat nearly 500 people. There will be a space available for building a pipe organ at the back of the concert hall.

An excellent site proposed for the building is on Holmes Field between the Jefferson Physical Laboratory and the Engineering Building, accessable from both Oxford and Kirkland streets. The name of the building has not been decided upon.