FIRST BASEBALL GAME.

Nine Plays University of Maine This Afternoon at 3 O'clock.

The University baseball team will play its first game of the season this afternoon with the University of Maine on Soldiers Field at 3 o'clock. As neither team has yet played a game, their comparative strength cannot be accurately estimated, but a close contest is expected.

The progress of the Harvard team during the past week has not been very encouraging. The infield has developed fairly well, considering the short time it has practiced on the diamond; but the outfield is very slow and much weaker than it was at this time last year, doubtless due to the fact that all the men are inexperienced. The batting of the entire team has also been very poor. Captain Wendell will play first base today in the absence of Frantz.

The batting order will be: HARVARD.  MAINE. Kernan, c.  c., Chadbourne. Stillman, p.  p., Mitchell. Wendell, 1b.  1b., Collins. Coolidge, 2b.  2b., Carr. Matthews, s.s.  s.s., Thatcher. Carr, 3b.,  3b., Davis. Rockwell, r.f.  r.f., Towse. Wood, c.f.  c.f., Holmes. Black, l.f.  l.f., Bachelder.