FRANTZ INELIGIBLE.

Letters Explaining his Withdrawal from the Nine This Year.

To the Harvard Crimson:

The above letter explains itself. It was received two weeks ago, having been communicated orally to the chairman of the Athletic Committee on March 12. Mr. Frantz's statement has been confirmed by the ex-manager of the Winfield nine.

The Harvard rule is as follows: "No student shall be allowed to represent Harvard * * * who shall at any time have received for taking part in any athletic sport or contest any pecuniary gain or emolument whatever, direct or indirect, with the single exception that he may have received from the college organization or from any permanent amateur association of which he was at the time a member, the amount by which the expenses necessarily incurred by him in representing his organization in athletic contests exceeded his ordinary expenses."

It seems to the Committee that Mr. Frantz has violated the rule as worded, although he is in spirit and intention an amateur, and that he ought to be suspended for at least one season, exactly as other men have been suspended for technical violations of the rule. His withdrawal has therefore been approved with regret. It must be remembered that the rule was made eight or ten years ago, when college sports needed cleaning up, and it seems unnecessarily severe at this time. Between total suspension from our teams for technical violation and free admission for complying with the spirit of the rules, the only just penalty seems to be suspension for one or more seasons. It may be added that Mr. Frantz's conduct has been throughout perfectly frank and honorable. Yours very truly,   IRA N. HOLLIS.