Mining and Metallurgy.

A pamphlet of the Mining and Metallurgy department which was organized last fall has recently been published by the Lawrence Scientific School for the first time. Previously this department was considered a branch of the Division of Geology and was included in its pamphlet. The admission examinations for this are the same as for all other departments in the Scientific School and the courses practically correspond to those given last year in mining and metallurgy. Nearly all of the work is done in the Rotch Building which contains five different laboratories with equipments equal to any in the world. The building also contains the large library of Raphael Pumpelly, professor in the Scientific School from 1866 to 1875. The work and equipment in the department is intended to give as thorough a preparation as is possible. The course may be completed in four years. The required work in the first and second years does not differ very materially from that in engineering or the other departments, and for this reason a student may change his courses even at the end of the second year without serious inconvenience. Specializing in mining and metallurgy begins in the third year.