Time Row for the Crew.

The University crews took a time row yesterday afternoon under excellent conditions, over the three and three-eights miles course down stream from the Weld Boat Club to the Union. The orders remained unchanged.

The first crew gave the second about five lengths start which they reduced by a length in the first quarter of a mile, rowing a slightly higher stroke. At the Longwood bridge the first had gained over a length more and hardly two lengths of open water separated the boats. From there to Harvard bridge, both crews raised the stroke slightly and took occasional spurts, but the first was unable to gain. If there was any difference in the relative positions of the boats at the bridge it was in favor of the second crew.

From Harvard bridge to the finish the first crew slowly crept up on the second and during the last quarter of a mile, when both crews put the stroke up several points, the first gained nearly a length, finishing about a length of open water behind the second.

After a half hour's rest at the Union Boat House, during which the men underwent a physical examination, the crews started up-stream in changed orders. Brownell, who had stroked the first crew, and Smith, who had stroked the second, changed places. Bullard replaced McGrew at three in the first boat and McGrew was moved to five in the second. Shuebruk was moved to six in the first crew in place of Foster who was put in Shuebruk's former place at four.

In a few brushes on the way home the second crew gained slightly on the first, rowing a somewhat higher stroke and with more life though with a less even beat. E. C. Storrow '89 aided Mr. Higginson in the coaching.

The crews finished rowing in the following orders:

First--Stroke, Smith; 7, Ayer; 6, Shuebruk; 5, Francis; 4, Foster; 3, Bullard; 2, Swift; bow, James; cox., Ivy.

Second--Stroke, Brownell; 7, Colby; 6, Gregg; 5, McGrew; 4, Derby; 3, Bancroft; 2, Sanger; bow, Covel; cox., Jackson.

Those not mentioned, except Phillips and Otis, have been dropped from the squad.