Weld Crew Leaves Today.

The first Weld graded crew will leave the Square at 4 o'clock this afternoon to race the Naval Academy crew at Annapolis on Saturday. The men will take the Fall River boat tonight and will go from New York to Annapolis by rail, arriving there about 2 o'clock on Friday afternoon. Their shell was sent away yesterday.

The race will be held on the regular two-mile course from outside the mouth of the Severn up into the river, late Saturday afternoon, the exact time depending on the weather.

The Weld crew has shown considerable improvement since are interclub graded races a week ago, and yesterday it was strengthened by the addition of two men from the University crew squad. Hartwell was put at seven replacing George, who was moved to three in place of Richardson. Lloyd will also go to Annapolis and may row at six, although he is unaccustomed to that side.

The crew went over the two mile course yesterday afternoon finishing well below the Union Boat Club, in ten minutes and thirteen seconds. The crew spaced better and travelled faster during the last mile than they did during the first and at the finish they ran the stroke up to 35 to the minute without any difficulty. Their chief fault is an occasional tendency to shorten at five and six which effects all the bow oars. Yesterday the boat showed marked improvement in this respect. The change at seven has not, as might be expected, in the least upset the boat. Hartwell is accustomed to rowing behind Wolcott, and seven has all along been one of the weakest spots in the crew.

The following men will go to Annapolis: Wolcott, Hartwell, Brooks, Bent, Greenough, George, Roberts, Dillingham, Lloyd, Richardson, Kelley, Downs, Coach Way.