HARVARD WINS MEET.

Yale Defeated, 61 1-2 to 42 1-2.--Several Records Broken and Equalled.

Harvard won the eleventh annual dual track games with Yale on Soldiers Field, Saturday, by the score of 61 1-2 to 42 1-2. Four dual records and four Harvard records were broken, and all but two track events were run in faster times than were made at the dual games last year. The results in some cases were surprising, owing principally to the failure of Yale's best men to do as well as was expected of them. The Harvard team performed with great consistency, was successful in almost all the doubtful events and, obtaining the lead at the start, maintained it throughout the meet. Harvard's score was made up of 8 first places, 8 seconds, and 4 thirds and half of a second and third.

The best individual work was done by W. A. Schick '05, who won both the short dashes, and, although he strained a tendon during his first trial heat, broke the records in both events. His time of 9 4-5 seconds in the 100 yards dash equals the intercollegiate record, held by B. J. Wefers of Georgetown, and breaks the dual record of 10 seconds made by Hargrave last year. Another of Hargrave's records was beaten by 1-5 of a second in the 220 yards dash, which Schick did in 21 3-5. Rust also ran remarkably well and won first in the 440 and third in the 220 yards dash. Lightner contributed in no small measure to the victory in the quarter mile by his heady work at the first turn in forcing the Yale men to run on the outside. His inability to get a place in the 220 was doubtless due to his efforts in the first race.

Willis won his trial heat in the 120 yards hurdles, but did not run in the finals, as no Yale men qualified for this event, and all the points were sure to go to Harvard. In the finals of the 220 yards hurdles, however, he won first place in the very fast time of 23 4-5 seconds, breaking the dual and Harvard record of 24 3-5 seconds, formerly held by J. L. Bremer, Jr., '96. Willis's performance in this event has been beaten only once in America and that by Kraenzlein who did 1-5 of a second better at the intercollegiate games in 1898 and established the present world's record. Tingley made the longest shot put ever credited to a Harvard man in competition and broke Robinson's record of 43 feet 4 inches by 4 inches. In the preliminaries of the 220 yards hurdles Scheuber lowered the dual record and equalled the time made two weeks ago by Willis. This record, however, was lowered by Willis in the finals, in which event Scheuber took second. He also won two points in the pole vault. Kernan's work in the high jump was remarkable, considering the fact that he had only two days practice.

The very first race proved somewhat of a surprise. Both Long and Boardman of Yale had been regarded as dangerous, but Rust, who had the pole, jumped to the lead at the start and, although he was hard pressed at times, was never once headed, and finished first in 50 4-5 seconds. Lightner, who had taken second place at the beginning of the race, was passed on the back stretch by Boardman, but fifty yards from home he regained his position and finished two yards behind Rust. Boardman was a yard further behind, with Long and Fry a little further back. Harvard 7, Yale 1.

Yale's greatest disappointment was in the trials of the 120 yards high hurdles when Clapp, who had been expected to win, caught his spike just before the last hurdle and falling, was passed by both Willis and Fisher. The other Yale entries were shut out by Converse and Bird in the second trial heat, and the three Harvard men, with Willis out, did not exert themselves in the final heat which was won by Converse in 17 seconds. Bird was second and Fisher third. Harvard 15, Yale 1.

The Yale trio in the mile proved too strong and Harvard failed to score. Jacobus and Stevens alternated in making the pace during the first half, which was run in 2.17. At the middle of the third lap Teel took the lead and though Grew made a plucky try to pass him on the last lap he won out by several yards. Grew held second place until within forty yards of the tape when Jacobus and Stevens passed him and took second and third respectively. The time, 4.33 1-5, was the fastest Teel has ever made and was considerably better than any of the Harvard men have done. Harvard 15, Yale 9.

In the trials of the 100 yards dash Schick defeated both Arnstein and Hargrave in even time, while Haigh defeated Moulton in 10 1-5 seconds. Schick won the final heat in the record breaking time of 9 4-5 seconds with Moulton two yards behind him in second place. Arnstein who followed within a foot of Moulton took third place from Haigh by a few inches. Harvard 20, Yale 12.

The half-mile race was an interesting one and resulted in the very good time of 2 minutes 1-5 second. Boynton had been counted on for first place, but by getting too far behind in the first lap he was unable to finish strongly and Deming, who had been laying back, passed him about eighty yards from the finish and won by a yard. Behr came in third, a few yards back of Boynton.

The result of the shot put added 7 points to Harvard's score and 6 1-2 points more from the high jump made the standing: Harvard, 36 1-2: Yale, 19 1-2.

By winning the two-mile, however, Franchot increased Yale's score. Before the end of the first half-mile He took the pace and steadily increased his lead until at the end of the mile and a half he was thirty yards ahead of Bumstead and forty yards ahead of Mills. From this time on Mills began to catch up and at the beginning of the last lap had passed Bumstead and was only thirty yards back of Franchot. This lead was cut down somewhat before the finish but Franchot won easily in 10 minutes. Mills took second place, fifty yards ahead of Bumstead. Of the eleven starters, Hall and Frothingham of Harvard were the only other men who finished.

After the preliminary heats in the 220 yards low hurdles, Clapp was the only Yale man left, while Willis, Scheuber and Converse of Harvard had all qualified. In the final race Willis and Scheuber began to gain on Clapp at the third hurdle and were soon several yards ahead of him. Toward the last Willis forged ahead of Scheuber and won by two yards. Clapp was the same distance behind Scheuber. Willis's time of 23 4-5 seconds in this event was probably the most remarkable of the afternoon.

The score then stood: Harvard, 45 1-2, Yale 26 1-2, and the next event, the 220 yards dash, practically decided the meet. The first preliminary heat proved to be the fastest and in this Schick made the record of 21 3-5 seconds. Rust took second, thus shutting out both Hargrave and Arnstein. Lightner failed to qualify in the second heat and the final heat was fought out between Schick, Moulton, Rust and Lilley who finished in the order named in 22 seconds. Schick's injured leg gave out about twenty yards from the tape or his time would have been faster. As it was he limped in a scant yard ahead of Moulton. Rust won third place. Harvard 51 1-2, Yale 28 1-2.

Ten points for Harvard by Piper's first in the hammer, Shirk's and Ristine's points in the broad jump, and Scheuber's second in the pole vault made Harvard's final score 61 1-2 to Yale's 42 1-2. The performances in the pole vault were notable owing to the fact that Preston won with a vault of 11 feet, 3 inches, which makes a new dual record in the event. Scheuber's best vault was 11 feet, also better than the old record.

The summary is as follows;

100 YARDS DASH.

First Heat--Won by W. A. Schick, H.; second, W. Arnstein, Y. Time 10s.

Second Heat--Won by J. E. Haigh, H.; second, F. R. Moulton, Y. Time 10 1-5s.

Final--Won by W, A. Schick, H.; second, F. R. Moulton, Y.; third, W. Arnstein, Y. Time 9 4-5s.

220 YARDS DASH.

First Heat--Won by W. A. Schick, H.; second, E. C. Rust, H. Time 21 3-5s.

Second Heat--Won by F. R. Moulton, Y.; second, W. A. Lilley, Y. Time 22 1-5s.

Final--Won by W. A. Schick, H.; second, F. R. Moulton, Y.; third, E. C. Rust, H. Time 22s.

440 YARDS RUN.

Won by E. C. Rust, H.; second, M. T. Lightner, H.; third, D. Boardman, Y. Time 50 4-5s.

880 YARDS RUN.

Won by E. A. Deming, Y.; second, E. B. Boynton, H.; third, G. E. Behr, H. Time 2m., 1-5s.

MILE RUN.

Won by B. G. Teel, Y.; second, C. S. Jacobus, Y.; third, H. G. Stevens, Y. Time 4m., 33 1-5s.

TWO-MILE RUN.

Won by D. W. Franchot, Y.; second, E. W. Mills, H.; third, R. H. Bumstead, Y. Time 10.

120 YARDS HIGH HURDLES.

First Heat--Won by J. G. Willis, H.; second, C. E. Fisher, H. Time 16 1-5s.

Second Heat--Won by J. H. Converse, H.; second, F. W. Bird, H. Time 16 3-5s.

Final--Won by J. H. Converse, H.; second, F. W. Bird, H.; third, C. E. Fisher, H. Time 17s.

220 YARDS LOW HURDLES.

First Heat--Won by J. G. Willis, H.; second, J. H. Converse, H. Time 24 4-5s.

Second Heat--Won by F. B. Scheuber, H.; second, E. Clapp, Y. Time 24 2-5s.

Final--Won by J. G. Willis, H.; second, F. B. Scheuber, H.; third, E. Clapp, Y. Time 23 4-5s.

HIGH JUMP.

Won by R. P. Kernan, H., 5 ft. 11 1-8 in.; second, F. M. Murphy, H., and J. S. Spraker, Y., 5 ft., 10 in. Spraker won second prize on the toss-up.

BROAD JUMP.

Won by C. Fallows, Y., 21 ft., 6 in.; second, J. H. Shirk, H., 21 ft., 4 1-2 in.; third, A. W. Ristine, H., 21 ft., 4 in.

SHOT PUT.

Won by J. Q. Tingley, H., 43 ft., 8 in.; second, C. H. Robinson, H., 42 ft., 7 3-4 in.; third, F. G. Beck, Y., 42 ft., 7 in.

HAMMER THROW.

Won by W. T. Piper, H., 128 ft. 10 in.; second, F. G. Beck, Y., 120 ft., 7 1-2 in.; third, S. M. Harris, Y., 100 ft. 9 in.

POLE VAULT.

Won by J. Preston, Y., 11 ft., 3 in.; second, F. B. Scheuber, H., 11 ft.; third, H. H. Pease, Y., D. P. Thompson, Y., and R. Hunter, Y., 10 ft., 6 in.

The points won in the several events this year and in the same events in last year's meet are given below:

1902  1901  H.Y.  H. Y.100 yards dash,  5 3  3 5220 yards dash,  6 2  1 7440 yards run,  7 1  6 2880 yards run,  3 5  7 1Mile run,  0 8  5 3Two-mile run,  2 6  2 6120 yards high hurdles,  8 0  6 2220 yards low hurdles,  7 1  6 2High jump,  6 1/2 1 1/2  3 5Broad jump,  3 5  8 0Shot put,  7 1  0 8Hammer throw,  5 3  0 8Pole vault,  2 6  0 8  61 1/2 42 1/2  47 5