TENNIS VICTORY OVER YALE.

Harvard Wins Six of the Nine Matches Played

The University tennis team defeated Yale at the New Haven Lawn Tennis Club on Saturday, winning six matches to three. The team won all but one match in the singles, while Yale won two out of three in the doubles. The playing was very close throughout as shown by the number of deuce sets and by the fact that the majority were deuce games. Credit is due in almost equal measure to all members of the team. Plummer and Russell played best for Yale.

In the singles, the most exciting match was between Leonard of Harvard and Plummer of Yale. After each had won one set and Plummer had four games in the third, Leonard played a brilliant uphill game and by accurate smashing finally won, 10-8. Another close match in the singles was won by Bishop of Harvard against Martin of Yale through steadiness in the last set. The other matches were not so closely contested. Blagden played consistently throughout, being especially strong in serving; Warland used his ground stroke to advantage; and Herrick excelled his opponent in cross-court drives and volleying.

In the doubles, a very close match was played between Farrington and Herrick of Harvard and Condict and Galpin of Yale. The latter finally won in the fifth set by their lobbing and superior net work. Bishop and Blagden won their match by excelling their opponents in team play.

The summary follows:

Singles.--E. W. Leonard (H.) defeated H. A. Plummer (Y.), 3-6, 6-4, 10-8; R. Bishop (H.) defeated H. C. Martin (Y.), 6-8, 8-6, 6-4; W. D. Herrick (H.) defeated H. L. Galpin (Y.), 6-3, 7-5; W. S. Warland (H.) defeated S. L. Russell (Y.), 6-4, 6-4; W. P. Blagden (H.) defeated H. W. Hamlin (Y.), 6-4, 7-5; P. K. Condict (Y.) defeated D. Farrington (H.), 4-6, 7-5, 6-4.

Doubles.--H. A. Plummer and S. L. Russell (Y.) defeated E. W. Leonard and W. S. Warland (H.), 6-4, 6-2, 6-2; P. K. Condict and H. L. Galpin (Y.) defeated D. Farrington and W. D. Herrick (H.), 6-4, 4-6, 7-5, 4-6, 7-5; R. Bishop and W. P. Blagden (H.) defeated H. W. Hamlin and H. C. Martin (Y.), 6-1, 6-4, 8-6.