LACROSSE WITH COLUMBIA.

Last Intercollegiate Game Today in New York.--Settles Second Place.

It is unfortunate that two University teams are playing at the same time on Soldiers Field this afternoon, for we should like to see the usual supporters of the baseball team at the lacrosse match with Columbia. Of recent years it has become the custom to speak rather disparagingly of lacrosse at Harvard, and to designate the members of the squad by an amusing but not particularly delicate title. It is hard to understand why this feeling exists at Cambridge, but it undoubtedly does exist, and it can only be done away with by the good record and the personnel of the various University teams. The game itself is very interesting to watch and requires great skill and staying powers from those who take part in it. That it is as successful here as at present is rather remarkable, considering the support it receives. Yet last year the University team won the championship of its league by good, heady playing against some of the best teams in the North, and this year the record on the southern trip gives promise of similar success. Such victories won by a team in the face of discouraging lack of interest show the same kind of spirit which has made Harvard comparatively successful recently in the more popular branches of intercollegiate sport. We do not like to appear with the time-honored and conventional formula, "We urge every member of the University to support the team," but we believe that la-cross deserves more attention than it now receives. The only way to put the game on a proper footing is to show the players that there is some interest taken in their contests, and this can best be done by attending the game today.