HARVARD, 1; U. OF P., O.,

Game Won by Brilliant Fielding.--Poor Work at the Bat.

The nine defeated Pennsylvania on Saturday by the score of 1 to 0, in the most closely contested game of the season. The game was a remarkable exhibition of snappy and effective fielding. From the small number of hits on each side, the game might be judged to be entirely a pitcher's battle, but the scarcity of Harvard's hits was due rather to the weak batting of the players than to the pitching of Devlin.

Stillman pitched a very effective game, and fielded his position in excellent style. The fielding of Clarkson and of Skilton deserves especial commendation, both players accepting the most difficult chances without error. But while the fielding of the nine was encouraging, the inability to hit was disheartening. The men seemed unable to get their eye on the ball, and when they did reach the ball, were unable to place it out of the reach of the fielders.

The one run was scored by Harvard in the third inning. With two men out Kernan hit a three-base hit into centerfield. Wendell followed with a two-bagger, which brought Kernan in. Coolidge reached first by being hit by the ball. Stillman hit to short and was put out at first. In the second, Randall made a remarkable catch of a foul drive to the right of first. In the fifth Wilder singled. Myers then hit a grounder to Stillman who fielded Wilder out at second, whence Coolidge shot the ball over to first in time to put out Myers. This double play retired Pennsylvania. In the eighth Coolidge reached first on Noble's muff and stole second. Stillman hit out. Clarkson got his base on balls; and Randall was hit by the ball. This put three men on base, but Pennsylvania steadied down and retired the next two batters. In the ninth, with two out, White walked to first and Swain singled. Orbin batted a hot grounder between first and second and it looked as if Pennsylvania would score, but Skilton ran and dived for the ball, scooped it up with one hand and tossed it over to first, retiring the runner and side.

Following is the summary: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Wendell, l.f.  3  0  1  1  0  0 Coolidge, s.s.  2  0  1  4  2  0 Stillman, p.  4  0  0  0  4  0 Clarkson, c.f.  3  0  0  4  0  0 Randall, 1b.  3  0  0  9  1  0 Skilton, 2b.  4  0  1  0  4  0 Daly, r.f.  4  0  0  1  0  0 Matthews, 3b.  3  0  0  2  0  0 R. P. Kernan, c.  2  1  1  3  0  0 Milne, c.  1  0  0  3  0  0 Totals.  29  1  4  27  11  0 PENNSYLVANIA.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Collier, 2b.  4  0  1  3  2  0 White, c.f.  3  0  0  2  0  0 Swain, r.f.  4  0  1  0  0  0 Orbin, s.s.  4  0  0  6  4  1 Bennett, c.  3  0  0  3  0  0 Wilder, l.f.  3  0  2  0  1  0 Myers, 1b.  3  0  0  8  0  0 Noble, 1b.  0  0  0  1  0  1 Brown, 3b.  3  0  0  1  3  0 Devlin, p.  3  0  0  0  1  0 Totals,  30  0  4  24  11  2

Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Harvard,  0  0  1  0  0  0  0  0  x--1

Summary: Earned run--Harvard. Three-base hit--Kernan. Two-base hit--Wendell. Stolen bases--Coolidge, Clarkson. Bases on balls--By Stillman: White; by Devlin: Wendell, Coolidge, Stillman. Hit by pitched ball--By Stillman: Brown 3, Swain, Wilder, Orbin, Bennett; by Devlin: Randall 2, Matthews. Double play--Stillman to Coolidge to Randall. Umpire--Lynch. Time--1h. 55m.