END OF FIRST WEEK'S WORK.

Linemen Few and Weak.--First Touchdown of the Season.

The end of the first week's football practice leaves the coaches with the same problem before them as they have been confronted with from the start--the development of an active but heavy line. A number of likely men have joined the squad recently but not one has yet shown the qualities essential in a University lineman. It is still somewhat early to demand perfection from the men, but it is certainly time the capable ones were showing their worth.

Yesterday's practice was the last on the open field and hereafter the practice will be held entirely on the University field within the enclosure. Graydon was out in football clothes yesterday for the first time but did no playing. In the signal practice he occupied right tackle but he will also be given a trial in his old position. Stillman, substitute fullback on the 1900 eleven, has decided to play again and will be out on Monday. The other new men who joined the squad yesterday were: Percival, who has played end for two years on the second team, Hurley; halfback on the Freshman eleven last year, Hanavan, a candidate for fullback and Ives who has had several years' experience on the second. Meier was laid up temporarily but he will be in the game again within a day or two. Clark is still incapacitated by an abscess and Sugden's ankle is not improving as rapidly as was hoped. The training table starts in the Union this morning with ten men.

M. Donald '99 joined the coaches yesterday and gave instruction to the line men. Other graduate coaches were J. Lawrence '01, Burnett '01, Lewis '95 and Sargent '02. E. J. Wendell '82 was on the field.

The first touchdown of the season was scored during the short line-up between squads "A" and "C." Soon after the kick-off, squad "C" was forced to punt. Several tackle plays by squad "A" aggregated about fifteen yards and then Lindsay on a plunge through left tackle got free and, dodging cleverly, ran forty yards for a touchdown. The play throughout was fast and spirited, and though it exposed several weak places in the line, it also gave the backs the opportunities to show their ability in rushing and tackling. Both teams were changed considerably in the second half, many of the men on squad "B" replacing those on squad "A." The teams lined up as follows: SQUAD "A."  SQUAD "C." Burgess, McDonald, l.e.  r.e., Aydelotte, Huguley, Mook. O'Connell, Oveson, l.t.  r.t., Frantz. Wilder, Hovey, l.g.  r.g., H. Bowditch, Carrick. King, c.  c., Bleakie. Barnard, Frost, r.g.  l.g., Lehmann. Wright Coburn, r.t.  l.t., Pettingell, Dodge. Jones, Crocker, Littig, r.e.  l.e., Goodhue, Lane. Marshall, Parker, q.b.  q.b., Elkins, Roberts. Lindsay, Knowles, Sard, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Bunting. Leatherbee, Tenney, r.h.b.  l.h.b., McGlensey, Trott. Harrison, Piper, f.b.  f.b., Hodges, Angle.