FIRST IMPROVEMENT SHOWN.

Quicker Starting and Better Interference.--Two Touchdowns Made.

For the first time in more than a week the University football team yesterday gave indications that it had profited slightly by the coaching it has received. In the line-up against the second eleven, both the line men and the backs played better than they have for some time and by starting quickly and forming compact interference the team scored two touchdowns within eight minutes.

Graydon played in the line-up for the first time since he joined the squad, and, with Kernan, who also went in for a few minutes at left halfback, helped to put life into the game. Barnard is still temporarily disabled by a bruise on his heel and Shea took his place. McDonald, Clark and Pruyn, who have been for several days on the sick list, were out again, and Stillman and Matthews reported for practice. A large number of coaches were on the field, among them W. Hoag '94, W. L. Garrison '97, D. G. Mason '95, J. C. Fairchild '96, and A. M. Beale '97.

Two plays by the first eleven were enough to score the first touchdown. On the kick-off by Marshall, Ives fumbled, and the second eleven was forced to punt from behind the goal. The ball went almost straight upwards and was secured by the first team on the opponent's ten-yard line. A plunge through right tackle by Leatherbee put the ball within a few feet of the line and Graydon easily made a touchdown. The try for goal passed too far to the right. On the next kick-off Graydon ran the ball in to the thirty-five yard line. Leatherbee made 7 yards around left end but after the ball had reached the middle of the field Goodhue broke up the interference on a play around right end and tackled Lindsay for a loss. The first eleven punted, but regained the ball on a fumble on the second eleven's thirty-five yard line. From there the ball was advanced from five to ten yards on almost every rush, and Meier, who had replaced Graydon, carried the ball over. The line-ups were as follows: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Burgess, l.e.  r.e., Crocker Wright, l.t.  r.t., Leaycraft Hovey, l.g.  rg., Fry King, c.  c., Lyon Shea, r.g.  l.g., Coburn Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Oveson Bowditch, r.e.  l.e., Goodhue Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Noyes Kernan, Lindsay, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Foster Leatherbee, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Sard Graydon, Meier, f.b.  f.b., Ives