The Basketball Situation.

The basketball season will open the last week in November with preliminary work for candidates for the University team. Just previous to the Christmas recess class squads will be formed to play for the class championship, for which cups have been offered by graduates. From the class teams the University squad will be picked, and the regular schedule of games will begin early in January.

The situation of basketball at present is promising, as many of the most reliable players and substitutes of last year's team have returned. Throughout the season a professional coach will be employed, who, together with the graduate coaches, J. W. Gilles '02, captain of last year's team, and J. K. Clark L.S. '02, will endeavor to develop new material. More stress than ever before will be laid on team work, formation and speed. Contrary to the usual custom, the schedule this year will comprise only university and college teams, and an attempt will be made to play more home games than in the past. The intercollegiate rule, however, requires two games with each member of the league. Accordingly the schedule this year will comprise games with Yale, at New Haven, Princeton at Princeton, Brown at Providence, Columbia at New York, Pennsylvania at Philadelphia, and Cornell at Ithaca. Harvard last year won second place in the intercollegiate league.