News From Yale.

NEW HAVEN, Jan. 17, 1903.--The opening of the rowing season was marked by the calling out of candidates for the freshman crew on Monday of this week. About ninety men, of more than average size and weight, reported, and have since been into four squads. Captain Waterman and other members of last year's university crew are in charge of the coaching.

Yale won her first game in the intercollegiate hockey series on Thursday, by defeating Columbia 6-4. The game was interesting, but discouraging, because of the inaccuracy of the Yale players and their lack of team play. The team this season is lighter than those of previous years and up to this time has not been as effective as was hoped at the beginning. The past week, however, has shown considerable improvement. Outside of the intercollegiate hockey series, Manager Schley has arranged the following games: January 20, Cornell at New York; January 24, Short Hills Hockey Club at Short Hills: January 30, Queens University Hockey Club of Canada at New York; February 13, N. Y. A. C. at New York.

A general call of track candidates will be made on February 11. Owing to the difficulty of handling the large number of men expected, the freshman candidates will be called out separately next Monday. An important step in track athletics has been the appointment of a graduate advisory committee, which is to meet at least three times each year.

At a meeting of the captains and athletic managers of the baseball, football and track teams and crews a change has been proposed in the election of assistant managers and secretaries from the academic department and of the vice-presidents from the scientific department. The plan is as follows: A meeting of the sophomore class will be held previous to the general university meeting. At this meeting the nominations for assistant manager and secretary will be taken by acclamation. Then a vote of the class will be taken and the names of the two highest men for each office will be retained as nominees for those offices at the university meeting. The names of these men will not be announced until the meeting of the university. The same system will apply to the election of the vice-president from the scientific department; a meeting of the scientific school junior class will be held before the university meeting and the two highest men will be retained as nominees for the office of vice-president. The proposed system will be voted on at the university meeting to be held next Friday.