Fogg Art Museum Report.

The annual report of the Fogg Art Museum, issued by the director, Professor Charles H. Moore, shows that there have been a number of important accessions to the museum, during the past year. From the class of 1895 the museum has received a valuable marble statue, which is an original work of high character representing later Greek sculpture. It appears to be an Aphrodite and closely resembles the so-called Venus de Milo, though it is on a smaller scale. The head, right arm, left forearm and feet are missing, but in other respects the figure is in remarkably good condition. The modelling of the body is extremely refined and beautiful, and the surfaces, except in a few spots, are practically uninjured. Mr. E. W. Forbes '95 has added to the valuable collection of original works deposited by him as an indefinite loan, a large panel triptych in tempera of the Italian school of the fifteenth century, representing the Madonna and child surrounded by angels and cherubs, with a St. Sebastian on one wing and a St. Francis on the other; and a small Holy Family of the sixteenth century, in oil color, which has the characteristics of the works of Correggio. An Ionian Greek vase of the seventh century has been received from Mr. Charles F. Murray of London, and a drawing after Michael Angelo by Brenourry has been received from Professor C. E. Norton. The Department of Fine Arts has acquired and deposited in the Museum a lead pencil and wash drawing of Chamouni by John Ruskin--a work of the "Modern Painters" epoch, which was Ruskin's strongest time as a draughtsman. Eight hundred and fifty-eight photographs have been purchased during the year, comprising representations of Indian, Greek, and Egyptian sculpture, French and Flemish painting, architecture of France, Spain, the Netherlands and modern England and other subjects. Several additions have also been made to the library.

Professor Moore calls special attention to the great opportunity which is afforded to members of the University by the fine print collections of the Museum. The Gray and Randall collections together afford materials for a thorough study of engraving from its earliest beginnings and in all its varieties. These collections include a considerable number of rare and costly prints, such as are seldom to be seen elsewhere than in Europe.

Professor Moore also lays great emphasis on the need of such alterations or additions to the present Museum building, as may afford a suitable light for the display of the valuable paintings the Museum contains, and which at present can be seen only to very poor advantage. He suggests that a suitable gallery be constructed contiguous to the present building and connected with it by a short passage way. Such a gallery might be placed on the east side of the Museum, toward the new Architectural building, and might easily be made to harmonize both with the Architectural building and the Fogg Museum. The addition would greatly increase the working value of the growing collection of paintings.