HARVARD WINS HOCKEY GAME.

Boston Club Defeated by the Score of 9 to 3.--Improvement in Teamwork.

The University hockey team defeated the Boston Hockey Club on Saturday by a score of 9 to 3. Although at times rather loose, the playing as a whole showed marked development in team-work. Souther did the most commendable work, shooting two goals in each half; and Foster, although uncertain in his shooting, played a hard aggressive game. MacLeod's shooting was also inaccurate, and several goals were missed through his inability to take advantage of easy chances. The most encouraging feature of the work was the defensive play of the forwards who followed back far better than in any previous game, and made it nearly impossible for the opposing forwards to get started. In this department, Foster was a little over anxious to keep up with the scrimmage. No real test was given the defense, but whenever the backs were called upon, their blocking seemed crude and easily passed. The tendency to play out too far was again in evidence, especially in the case of Clothier, who several times left his territory unprotected, when there was no forward at hand to cover his position.

For the Boston Hockey Club, Winsor proved the most aggressive rusher, scoring two out of the three goals made; while A. Goodridge at point did some very consistent blocking. Newhall also played well and scored the third goal for his team at the close of the game.

The line-up: HARVARD.  BOSTON HOCKEY CLUB. MacLeod, f.  f., D. A. Newhall '06 Lovering, f.  f., R. Winsor '02 Souther, f.  f., H. B. Stoddard, Yale '02 Foster, Kernan, f.  f., F. J. Goodridge '98 Clothier, c.p.  c.p., D. P. Penhallow '03 Carr, p.  p., A. Goodridge '00 Litchfield, g.  g., J. B. Manning '03

Score--Harvard, 9; Boston Hockey Club, 3. Goals--Souther 4, Lovering, Foster, MacLeod, Kernan, Clothier, Winsor 2, Newhall. Referee--H. W. Read '03. Timekeeper--McMaster. Time--20-minute halves.