Rhodes Scholarships Meeting.

A meeting of prominent educators of Massachusetts. Rhode Island, and Connecticut, was held in University Hall on Saturday to discuss the method of selecting American students to be given the scholarships at Oxford University established by the Cecil Rhodes bequest. The meeting was held at the invitation of Dr. G. W. Parkin of Toronto, representative in America of the Rhodes Scholarship Trust. Those present included representatives from the universities, colleges, and secondary schools of the three states mentioned. The principal topic under discussion was the question of whether the scholarships should be awarded only to college graduates or should also include those who have completed the work in the secondary schools.

The matter was finally settled by the representatives from each state meeting separately and passing resolutions advising the appointment of a committee in each state to consist of members representing both the colleges and secondary schools, the membership of the committees to be renewed from year to year. These committees are to decide upon the method of selecting those who are to receive the scholarships and are to be unrestricted in their selection except by regulations made by the Rhodes trustees or by Oxford University. President Eliot presided at the meeting and in the resolutions passed by the Massachusetts representatives he is recommended to name the Massachusetts committee.