HARVARD VS. AMHERST AT 3.

Hard Game Expected. -- Team Does Better in Practice.

At 3 o'clock this afternoon, the University football team will play the Amherst eleven on Soldiers Field.

If the practice of the last two days may be taken as a criterion, the University eleven is not sufficiently developed to predict a large score for the game today. Several changes will be made in the line-up. Captain Marshall will be back at quarter, Nesmith will be tried at left half, and Le Moyne may be given a chance at left end.

Amherst has a very strong team this year, and last Wednesday ran up a score of 23-0 against Bowdoin, in a game which was even more one-sided than the score would indicate. From the fact that the University team defeated Bowdoin by only 24 points and was able to score but 6 points in the second half, it is plainly evident that the game today will be a hard one, and that a small score must be expected. Five members of the Amherst team which allowed Harvard only a single touchdown last year, will play this afternoon.

Following is the line-up:

The practice yesterday was fairly snappy and on the whole encouraging. Although the scrimmage was short and rather uninteresting, the men played hard and showed some aggressiveness. The only touchdown was made for the University eleven by Hurley during the first two or three minutes of play, after a series of rushes from the second's 25-yard line.

Hurley also made several long gains, running in one punt, by clever dodging, for 50 yards. Le Moyne was in again at left end on the University team and was given special coaching by J. W. Hallowell '01. His punt of 45 yards against a strong wind was one of the best features of the afternoon's practice. Carrick was not over-keen, but waked up somewhat at the end of the play. For the second, Shurtleff and Harrison played a spirited game. A. Marshall was upon the field, but did not put on football clothes.

Among the large number of graduate coaches on the field were: R. Lawrence '02, J. S. Lawrence '01, C. H. Barnard 2L., E. H. Greene '02, J. Dunlop '96, A. L. Devens '02, J. W. Hallowell '01, W. L. Garrison '97, B. G. Waters '94, W. H. Lewis '95L., D. Dean '92.

Line-up: HARVARD.  AMHERST. Clothier, Le Moyne, l.e.  r.e., Daniels Parkinson, l.t.  r.t., Diehl Shea, l.g.  r.g., Joost Carrick, c.  c. Howard Coburn, r.g.  l.g., Palmer Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Pierce Bowditch, r.e.  l.e., Chase Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Lewis, captain Hurley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Shay Nesmith, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Hubbard Hanley, f.b.  f.b., Coggeshall

FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Le Moyne, l.e.  r.e., Shurtleff Parkinson, l.t.  r.t., Bleakie Wilder, l.g.  r.g., Upham Carrick, c.  c., Pell Coburn, r.g.  l.g., McFadon Lehmann, r.t.  l.t., Mercer Bowditch, r.e.  l.e., Blagden Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Leonard Nesmith, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Cruger Hurley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Snyder Hanley, f.b.  f.b., Harrison