FALL TRACK MEET.

Freshmen Do Well.--The Weather Conditions Very Favorable.

The University fall handicap track games were held on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon. Fortunately the track was in good condition and the weather very favorable, there being little wind. The track events, with the exception of the hurdles and two-mile, were run in fairly fast time. On the other hand, the showing in the field events was decidedly poor, with the exception of the shot-put. In securing one first, three seconds, and two thirds, the Freshmen made a creditable showing.

In the final heat of the 100 yards dash, J. A. Powelson '05, with a handicap of 5 yards, won a very close race from M. G. Perkins '06, with a handicap of 2 yards.

The 440 yards dash was won by B. L. Young, Jr., '07, with a handicap of 25 yards. Young took the lead at the start and held it to the finish. T. B. Dorman '06, with the same handicap as Young, secured second place, coming in 4 yards behind him.

W. A. Colwell 3G., scratch, won the 880 yards run, finishing 3 yards ahead of J. F. Henderson '05, who had a handicap of 40 yards. For the first lap and a quarter B. Merrill '06 set the pace, then Henderson took the lead, but was in turn passed by Colwell near the finish.

In the mile run H. H. Rowland '06, with a handicap of 60 yards, easily finished in first place, 75 yards ahead of S. S. Hubbard, Jr., '07, with a handicap of 120 yards. Hubbard led for the first two laps, but was finally forced into second place by Rowland.

The most interesting race of the afternoon was the two-mile, which was won by R. C. Bollard '05, with a handicap of 150 yards. Bollard took the lead at the beginning of the third lap and held it until, on the fifth lap, he was passed by J. H. Hall 1G., handicapped at 60 yards. Up to within a few yards of the finish Hall was slightly in the lead, but Bollard passed him with a spurt just before he crossed the line.

The summary of events is as follows:

TRACK EVENTS.

100-yards dash--Won by J. A. Powelson '05, 5 yds.; second, M. G. Perkins '06, 2 yds.; third, L. Grilk '04, scratch. Time, 10 1-5s.

220-yards dash--Won by M. G. Perkins '06, 5 yds.; second, F. E. Shirk '06, 5 yds.; third, L. Grilk '04, scratch. Time, 22 2-5s.

120-yards hurdles--Won by W. E. Story '04, scratch; second, E. F. Campbell '06, 6 yds.; third, R. Wellman 1L., 3 yds. Time, 18 4-5s.

220-yards hurdles--Won by W. E. Story '04, 5 yds.; second, M. C. Ware '07, 12 yds. Time, 28s.

440-yards run--Won by B. L. Young, Jr., '07, 25 yds.; second, T. B. Dorman '06, 25 yds.; third, H. B. Young '04, 8 yds. Time, 50 2-5s.

880-yards run--Won by W. A. Colwell 3G., scratch; second, J. F. Henderson '05, 40 yds.; third, C. Brinsmade '07, 40 yds. Time 1m. 58 3-5s. simply because of mismanagement on the part of those who direct the games. It is to be hoped that in the future the management will throw no such discouragement in the way of those who are trying to improve their own athletic ability and the ability of the track team to beat Yale, and win the intercollegiate games.  C. W. W. '06