DESCRIPTION OF THE STADIUM.

Details of Construction and Arrangement of Seats.

It is still impossible to state definitely when the Stadium will be ready for use, but the details of construction, including that of the curved part, have, in general, been decided upon. The width, at any point, from the outer wall to the inner parapet will be 95 feet, the length of the straight side 363 feet, and the distance from side to side 230 feet. The bow will be semi-circular, with a radius of 115 feet for the inner circle or parapet, and a radius of 210 feet for the outer circle or outer wall.

The parapet will be nine feet high, and the lowest seats will thus be approximately nine feet from the ground. This parapet will have five openings or doorways on each of the straight sides of the Stadium, which will lead from the field to the space underneath the seats. It is at present intended to close these openings permanently with heavy doors or gates. In addition to these ten doorways there will be a large portal in the bow of the Stadium, which is intended to relieve the plainness of the parapet in the curve. The portal, excepting for some gateway, ornamenting it, will be kept open, and it will thus be the only exit from the space beneath the seats to the enclosed field.

There will be 31 tiers of seats and 38 aisles, each three feet three inches wide and 33 feet from centre to centre. Behind the highest row of seats will be a promenade 50 feet above the ground. A covering 22 feet high will eventually be built over this promenade, making the total height of the Stadium in that part 72 feet or practically twice the height of the old grand stands.

Below the high promenade there will be a second promenade 25 feet from the ground. The reason for this is to facilitate reaching the upper tiers of seats. Thirty-eight bridges hung to the beams of the seats will lead from the promenade to the aisles. Eight large stairways lead from the ground to the promenade rising towards the gridiron, underneath the seats, to a large landing, and thence back from the gridiron to the promenade.

In addition to the 38 bridges from the lower promenade, the aisles are also reached by 38 stairways rising from the ground directly beneath the seats to openings in the aisles one third up towards the top. These stairways, leading to points considerably below those reached by the bridges, are for the convenience of spectators in the lower seats.

The approaches to these 38 small and the eight large stairways are through the outer wall of the Stadium, which contains 80 large arched openings in both the ground story and the second story. It will thus be seen that the seats are reached only by stairways approached through the back wall of the Stadium and rising directly underneath the seats.

The space beneath the seats will contain, in addition to the stairways, three series of supporting columns. The ground in this part will probably be covered with fine gravel.

The Stadium will also contain two small spiral stairways leading to the high promenade at the two points in the outer wall where the curve of the two commences.

The ends of the Stadium towards the Charles River will be closed with solid walls. On the outer ends of these walls will be built small towers, which, however, will not project above the other parts of the Stadium. The structure is entirely of concrete, excepting the steel beams supporting the seats. The concrete is strengthened within by twisted steel rods, and is allowed to harden a week before the supporting wooden frames are removed. The slabs for the seats are made in sand molds. They are strengthened by wire mesh within, and are seasoned four weeks before being put in place.

The concrete will be given the finish known as "rough picked," which gives it a rough appearance common to granite. The mouldings, however, will be given a smooth finish and wooden covers will be placed upon the seats.

The stairways and columns occupy only a part of the space underneath the seats, but it has not yet been decided what will be done with the remainder. It is understood, however, that lockers will be put there. The openings in the parapet now to be closed with heavy doors or gates, could then be utilized for entrance to the field.

The contracts for the concrete and beam work have, nominally, been given to the Aborthaw Construction Company and the Boston Bridge Works. A great deal of the work, however, has been done by the Engineering Department and by present and former members of the University. Professor I. N. Hollis is in general charge of the work and Professor L. J. Johnson is chief engineer. The architectural designs were made by Mr. Charles McKim, of McKim, Meade and White, and the consulting engineer was Mr. J. R. Worcester '82. In addition to the foregoing men the following men have served in the capacities mentioned: Surveyors, R. W. Greenlaw '02, A. S. Proudfoot '03, C. Gilman '04, H. M. Hale '04, H. Adams '02; inspectors, H. H. Fox '00, D. Edwards '04, J. Wilson '03, L. D. Granger '05; material clerks, C. Tirrell '04, W. Tyng '05; W. Bullen '03; draughtsmen, H. F. Tucker '01, C. M. Harrington '05, H. M. Turner '06; charge of stock, C. Morse '07; paymaster, C. H. Fisher '04; timekeeper, E. White '04