Bowdoin Prize Subjects.

Bowdoin prizes are offered this year, as usual, for dissertations in English, in Greek, and Latin.

For the English dissertations two prizes are offered to undergraduates: the first of two hundred and fifty, and the second of two hundred, dollars. The essays may be written on any subject proper for treatment in literary form, and approved by the chairman of the Standing Committee on Bowdoin Prizes. Theses forming a part of the regular work for courses may be offered, with the consent of the instructors concerned, or, subject to such consent, may be rewritten for the prize competition.

For graduates a prize of three hundred dollars is offered for an essay of high literary merit, on a subject within the range of philosophy, political science and history. This essay must be written by the holder of an academic degree who has been in residence in the Graduate School for one full year within the period 1901-1904.

For dissertations in Greek and Latin there are two prizes of fifty dollars each offered to undergraduates. One is for a translation into Attic Greek of the passage in Irving's Life of Columbus, Book V, Chapter IV, from the words "Immediately on his arrival" to the end. The other is for a translation into Latin of the passage in Matthew Arnold's "Essays in Criticism," Marcus Aurelius, from the words, "The man whose thoughts Mr. Long has thus faithfully reproduced," through the words, "the State System of Modern France."

A prize of one hundred dollars is offered to Graduates for an original essay, in either Latin or Greek, of not less than three thousand words on any subject chosen by the competitor. The writer, however, must have been in residence in the Graduate School for one full year within the period 1901-1904, and must hold an academic degree.

All essays and translations must be handed to the Secretary of the Faculty, not later than April 1, 1904.