RHODES SCHOLARSHIPS.

Preliminary Announcement of American Elections under Will of Cecil Rhodes.

A memorandum has been issued by the trustees of the will of the late Cecil Rhodes for the information of College authorities and candidates for the Rhodes Scholarships. By the terms of Mr. Rhode's will two American scholarships are allotted to each of the present States and Territories of the United States, besides scholarships for Germany and the English Colonies. The men to whom these scholarships are awarded are each to receive $1,500 a year, and are to study for three years at Oxford University. Each student may choose his college at Oxford, as there is no restriction in the will. No student is to be disqualified for election to scholarship on account of race or religious opinion; in the selection character and manliness are to count as much as scholarship.

The first election of scholars in the United States, according to the announcement, will be make between February and May, 1904, at which time, on a date to be publicly announced, examinations to determine the qualifications of the candidates for a course of study at Oxford, will be held throughout the country. These elections will be based on the requirements for respansions--the first public examination exacted by Oxford from each candidate for a degree. These requirements are stated in the statutes of the University of Oxford. Copies of respansion examinations can be obtained from the Oxford University Press, 91 and 95 Fifth Avenue, New York City. The Students' Handbook of Oxford, containing full information about the examinations of the university, subject to changes made since the last edition was issued, can be ordered at the same address. "Oxford As It Is," by Mr. Louis Dyer '74 of Harvard and Baliol College, a small pamphlet for the use of American candidates, containing all essential information in a condensed form, can be obtained from Macmillan & Co., Fifth Avenue, New York City.

The elections will be made in each state, separately, by committees of selection consisting of representatives, of the colleges and secondary schools. In Massachusetts, the committee will be composed of five members, with President Eliot as chairman. A list of all who have successfully passed the examinations will be furnished to the chairman of selection in each state or territory, or to the university making the appointment, and from this list the scholars will be elected

Candidates may apply for a scholarship in either the state where they are receiving their education or in the state where their home is located. During the month of January they must notify the chairman of the committee of selection in the state or territory in which they apply of their intention to present themselves for examination. All candidates must be unmarried, citizens of the United States, between nineteen and twenty-five years of age; and have completed second year work at some recognized degree-granting American university or college. Where several candidates present themselves from a single university or college, in faculty of the college will be requested to decide between their claims on the basis of Mr. Rhodes's suggestions, and present to the committee of selection the name of the candidate chosen by the college as its representative in the final election. The elected scholars are to begin residence in October, 1904.

Inquiries in regard to the scholarships should be addressed to F. J. Wylie, Esq., the Oxford agent of the Rhodes trustees. The University has applied for detailed information, but until it is received, the College Office will not be prepared to answer any inquiries on the subject of the scholarships.