Proposed Changes in Debating Regulations.

The University Debating Council will meet on January 11, to take action on several proposed amendments to the constitution and to the University debating regulations. As some of these amendments are of a radical nature, a circular letter has been sent to all members of former University debating teams, who are in the University or reside in Boston, asking their opinion as to the proposed changes. Replies have thus far been received from about half.

Five changes are suggested in the letter. The first change proposed is to leave to the judges at trials, merely the selection of the six best men, reserving the choice of the final three to the coach; the second, that all three members of the second team rank equally and should be given medals; the third, that in the retention of men at trials, consideration should be given, in some degree, to past work, and not, as at present, exclusively to showing in the trials; and that the coach be allowed to sit at trials as advisor to the judges.

The fourth suggestion relates to the choice of coaches, and proposes that only members of winning teams should be eligible, and that those eligible should agree to coach in the order of rotation.

The fifth suggestion relates to the intercollegiate debating rules, and proposes that only lawyers serve as judges at debates and that twelve days instead of ten shall elapse between the submitting of the question and the choice of side.