COLUMBIA WINS BASKETBALL.

University Team Defeated 19 to 11.--Poor Basket Throwing.

The University basketball team was defeated by Columbia in the Hemenway Gymnasium on Saturday night by a score of 14 to 12. The game was very close throughout and both teams played hard and consistently. Harvard led the scoring in the first half and at the end of play had one point more than Columbia with the score 8 to 7. Early in the second half Columbia succeeded in gaining the lead and maintained it to the end of the game, finishing with a margin of two points.

The score shows that the University team lost because of inability to throw goals from fouls. Each team scored ten points in baskets from the field, and each team had fouls called seven times. Columbia threw four of the seven, where-as Harvard succeeded in throwing only two. The University five was also weak on covering and on baskets from the field. Neither Randall nor Fosdick were in their usual form. Columbia was weak on goals, but on account of the poor defensive work of the University players was given many opportunities for free chances. Both teams played a good passing game, but were inclined to foul.

The summary: HARVARD.  COLUMBIA. Linehan, r.f.  l.g., Von Sholly Henderson, l.f.  r.g., Elias Randall, c.  c., O'Connell Hanavan, r.g.  l.f., Allen Fosdick, l.g.  r.f., Fisher

Score--Columbia, 14; Harvard, 12. Baskets from the floor--Fisher 3, Randall 2, Allen, O'Connell, Henderson, Linehan, Fosdick. Baskets on fouls--Fisher 4, Hanavan 2. Fouls called--on Harvard, 7; on Columbia, 7. Referee--F. B. Barnes of Cambridge Y. M. C. A. Umpires--Quigg of Columbia and H. R. Snyder '05. Timekeeper--H. H. Bennett '04. Time--20-minute halves.