CORNELL WINS BASKETBALL.

University Team Defeated by Score of 17 to 8.--Intercollegiate Standing.

The University basketball team was defeated by Cornell in the Hemenway Gymnasium Saturday night by a score of 17 to 8. The result of the game ranks Cornell above Harvard in the intercollegiate league standing and ties Harvard with Princeton for the last place.

At the end of the first half the score stood 8 to 6 in favor of the University team. In the second half however, the men were unable to score at all, while the Cornell team had little difficulty in scoring 9 points. The University team was unlucky in its throws in the second half, and furthermore the defense was weakened by poor covering. The teamwork, though fairly accurate, was slow and often failed in advancing the ball. Bigelow alone, who took Fosdick's place at left guard, played individually an especially strong game.

The summary: HARVARD.  CORNELL. Henderson (K. Smith), r.f.  l.g., Lyford Linehan, (Humphreys), l.f.  r.g., Townsend Randall, c.  c., Wadsworth Hanavan, r.g.  l.f., Brinkerhoff Bigelow, l.g.  r.f., Hermes

Score--Cornell, 17; Harvard, 8. Baskets from the floor--Brinkerhoff 3, Lyford 2, Townsend, Hermes, Linehan, Randall, Bigelow. Baskets on fouls--Hermes 3, Hanavan 2. Fouls called--on Cornell, 6; on Harvard, 4. Referee--F. B. Barnes of Cambridge Y. M. C. A. Umpire--H. R. Snyder '05. Time--20-minute halves.

Following is the present standing of the teams in the intercollegiate league:   Played.  Won.  Lost. Yale.  5  4  1 Columbia,  7  4  3 Cornell,  4  2  2 Harvard,  6  2  4 Princeton,  6  2  4