AGREEMENT WITH YALE.

Two-Year Athletic Agreement Under New Detailed Provisions.

At the conference of the Harvard and Yale conference committees on athletics at Springfield yesterday, a detailed athletic agreement between the two Universities was reached, the terms of which are printed in full below. Before going into effect, the agreement must be ratified by a Yale mass-meeting, which will be held today.

"The two Universities herewith enter into an agreement for contests in the four main branches of sport, football, baseball, rowing and track athletics, under the following conditions, the agreement to continue for successive two-year periods, except upon notice to the contrary by properly constituted authorities not less than six weeks before the termination of the previous period, of two years. Agreement to take effect March 15, 1903. The following rules are to affect all students who enter the Universities after the summer of 1903. The eligibility of students now in the Universities shall be determined under the rules now in force.

Any cases of disagreement as to the construction or meaning of this agreement and of both the existing rules and the rules herewith adopted shall be referred to an arbitration committee of three consisting of Mr. William Miekleham, of New York City, a graduate of Columbia University; Mr. R. D. Wrenn '95, representing Harvard; and Mr. Otto T. Bannard, representing Yale, whose decision shall be final.

The captain at each University shall be held finally responsible for the eligibility of the list of candidates he submits except in matters determined by college standing and scholarship. At each University a committee of reference shall be appointed before October 1 of each year (this committee to include at least three graduates and the names of the committee to be published) with whom the captain shall confer as to the eligibility of his list of men. In case of disagreement between the captain and his committee, the case must be thus stated when submitting his list of names to the opposing captain, who may then refer it to the Arbitration Committee (provided for in the preamble) whose decision shall be final. But even in case the captain and his own committee agree a case may still be referred by the opposing captain to the Arbitration Committee.

Rule 1.--No student shall be eligible unless he is and intends to be throughout the academic year, a bona fide member of the University, taking a full year's work in courses leading to a degree. His name must have been presented, at least two weeks in advance, to the Dean or Director of the Department in which he is enrolled, and declared by him to be in satisfactory standing.

Note.--a. No student shall be deemed to be in satisfactory standing within the meaning of this rule, if he has been dropped from his class to a lower class, or from a first year class out of the University, or if he is on probation. In case he has been dropped, he must have completed satisfactorily one year's work, before he shall be eligible, unless he shall in the meantime have made up all the deficiencies which stand in the way of his restoration to his original class.

b. A student whose college work is satisfactory, but who has been declared by the Dean to have been dropped on account of sickness or entrance conditions shall be considered eligible under this rule.

c. A student, who by reason of his probation or of deficiency in his studies is not eligible, shall not become eligible by entering another Department of the University, until after he has completed satisfactorily one entire year's work.

Rule 2.--No student shall be eligible for a University team unless he is an undergraduate or has been in attendance one full academic year at the University.

Rule 3.--No undergraduate who has ever played in an intercollegiate contest upon a university team of another college shall play upon a university team until he has resided one academic year at the University and passed the annual examinations upon a full year's work.

Rule 4.--No student who has not passed an entrance examination shall be eligible until he has resided a year at the University and has passed satisfactorily in a course equivalent to that required of candidates for a degree in the Department of which he is a member.

Rule 5.--No student shall represent one or more universities or colleges in athletic contests for more than four academic years. A student shall be considered to have represented his University if he has taken part on a University team in any intercollegiate contest which was on the official schedule or regularly advertised or where gate money was charged.

Note. In this rule the term "college" includes all institutions named in the lists of colleges and technological schools in the last Report of the U. S. Commissioner of Education, as revised by the committees.

Rule 6.--No student shall be eligible who shall have received, in order to enable him to take part in or for participation in or for teaching any form of athletics or gymnastics, any pecuniary gain or emolument whatever, with the single exception that he may have received from his college organization or from any permanent amateur association of which he was at the time a regular member, the amount by which the expenses incurred by him in representing his organization in athletic contests exceeded his ordinary expenses.

Rule 7.--No student shall be a member of a Freshman team or crew, except one who has never before attended another college or University, and who is a member of the first year class and in his first year of residence, and in satisfactory standing.

Rule 8.--Each captain shall submit to the other captain, in writing, at least three weeks before the contest, a list of his men. No protest against any man shall be considered unless sent by registered mail at least two weeks before the contest, in which the man is to take part."