"DER VEILCHENFRESSER"

Good Production Last Night.--Second Performance in Boston Tonight.

The first performance of the year's German play, Gustave von Moser's "Der Veilchenfresser," was given in Brattle Hall last night. Except for one or two slight hitches the performance went off very smoothly and showed the effect of much careful training and forethought. The introduction of more elaborate costumes and staging than have been used heretofore added greatly to the tone of the play, and the acting, particularly that of W. E. Sachs '04 as "Reinhard von Feldt," was better than is usually seen in performances of this character. The pronunciation, with the exception of several slight Americanisms, was good.

The action of the play centers about an officer of Hussars, Viktor von Berndt, nicknamed "Veilchenfresser," or violet-eater, because of his habit of sending flowers to his many passing lovers. Fran von Berndt, his aunt, wishes him to marry valeska von Rembach, daughter of the commandant of a neighboring fortified town. Viktor, however, is already deeply interested in Sophie von Wildenheim, a young widow, but she believes him incapable of true love. Colonel von Rembach also desires to marry Sophie. Reinhard von Feldt, a young and bashful lawyer, and Valeska von Rembach are furthermore desperately in love. Because of a duel Viktor is sentenced to four weeks imprisonment at Colonel von Rembach's fortress.

In the second act, he arrives at the Colonel's home to report, on the very evening of a ball. He is invited to stay until the time arrives for him to leave for the fortress. The following scenes are filled with humorous misunderstandings.

In the third act, two weeks later, Viktor has been released and comes to visit Sophie, who now esteems him more highly. From behind a screen she hears Colonel von Rembach's prosaic reasons for wishing to make her his wife, and then Viktor's violent declaration of love for her. Sophie accepts Viktor. The disconcerted colonel von Rembach is, however, happy to see his daughter Valeska joined to her lover Reinhard.

The cast follows: Oberst von Rembach,  F. W. Cloud '05 Valeska, his daughter,  W. H. Chase '04 Sophie von Wildenheim, a widow,  F. H.Osgood '04 Frau von Berndt,  G. W. D. H. Gribble '06 Viktor von Berndt, her nephew, officer of Hussars,  P. B. Robinson '03 Reinhard von Feldt, a young lawyer,  W. E. Sachs '04 Frau von Belling,  O. R. Koechl '05 Herr von Golewski,  T. Ybarra '05 Herr von Schlegel,  H. F. Schwarz '04 Johann, Servant at Fran von Berndt's  W. H. Hubbard '03 Minna, maid to Frau von Berndt's,  P. G. Henderson '05 Peter, Viktor's servant,  P. B. Oiney '03 Servant at Rembach's  R. T. Crane '03 Servant at Fran von Wildenheim's,  R. C. Kibbey '04

The second production of the play will take place in Union Hall, Boston, this evening at 8.15 o'clock. The Mandolin club will play between the acts. Tickets may be obtained at the door after 7.30 o'clock.